How to upgrade the bios?

thebigdintx

Daemon Poster
i was just wondering if i got an e8400, and ended up getting a motherboard that didn't support the 45nm chips without a bios upgrade, how do i go about doing the bios upgrade if i don't have any other socket 775 chip to use in it while i upgrade the bios? can anyone explain the steps i would go through to upgrade the bios to the latest version that supports the 45nm chips if all i have is the 45nm chip?

well thats quite the pickle. I would head to a friends place or to a bestbuy or something and see if they can update it for you. If you bought it from a local supplier you should be able to get it done for free.

You should be able to boot into the bios iirc, though you may receive some error warning, and initiate the flash from there, what board is it??

what is the motherboard, and I could probably help you find an update....if you have not found one already?

atomic..i read through that guide, but it did not have any info on how to upgrade the bios if you don't have a cpu that is currently supported by the current bios on the board. (example, you have a 45nm chip, and the bios you currently have on the board doesn't support it, and that is why you are trying to upgrade the bios to the version that does support 45nm chips). also, i have not purchased this scenerio, i was just curious if i did buy the e8400 like i want to and end up with a board that has to have the bios updated to support it, and i have no other chip to use in the board to do the update.

i was just curious if i did buy the e8400 like i want to and end up with a board that has to have the bios updated to support it, and i have no other chip to use in the board to do the update.
OK. In that scenario, you would need to contact the manufacturer about getting a replacement BIOS chip with the newer version on it, or send the motherboard in to have the chip replaced/reflashed.

ok. i was curious if you had to have a cpu in the mb to boot up into bios or not. was thinking maybe could put the new bios file on a flash drive, boot into the bios without a cpu in the mb, and flash the bios that way. but i guess that's not possible?

Back
Top Bottom