Compressed files that are made up of like 50 parts...

dan7777

In Runtime
Why is this? I have downloaded several torrents that contain RAR files or something, that is in like 50 parts. I can open them fine. That's no problem.

I just don't understand why the files are like this? Why not just one file?

Cheers!

Bandwidth? I'm not sure but depending on what you are downloading, things may go faster when in smaller chunks, than 1 large one. With a torrent, more computers will be downloading each individual part, speeding it up

You can make the process of unzipping all the files easier though:

http://www.herve-thouzard.com/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=4

You basically choose the directory where they are, and it'll unzip all the files as if they were just one.

It takes a few minutes, but its better than opening them yourself.

Yeah, I usually just unzip the top file, and it gives me the single file. I was just curious as to why many torrents came in parts like that.

I guess it makes sense to help with bandwidth and tracking and stuff.

Cheers.

I think it's because that way, instead of an entire 6 gig file or whatever getting corrupted by chance, you only have to redownload 15 MB or so.

well as long as we are assuming these are legal files, i will help you..if they are illegal files, please read the sticky.... :).....jk, we are assuming they are legal, since i've had this problem before and any place on google couldn't help me...basically what you have to do is first download winrar....then you wanna name the very first file to a .rar extention...so if your first file is named hifreestyler.001 or .r01, then you would change it to .rar....COPY ALL OF THESE BEFORE YOU DO IT BC SOMETIMES IT DOESN'T WORK!!....

so back to this ....rename the first file that's archived .rar...then open it with winrar, or maybe you could just right click and hit "exract to xx(folder)"

it's probably going to say that it's missing information, but you just need to hit browse and select the second file...usually from there it will go by itself, but if not you will just have to find the next file for it....

this usually works, but like i said, copy everything before you try it, otherwise you just really shot yourself in the foot and sometimes it can't be reversed back to the old archive extentions.....

try that, if it don't work, i'll try and help you again!

Zac

hey could open them , he just wanted to no why you would upload 100 15mb parts over 1.5gb file

wow..dumb me...more like dummy...ha ha ha..oh well..maybe it will help someone else out ha ha...yeah i guess probably they do it for ease of use, but with torrents, it'd be pretty hard finding one of those files if it were corrupt.....

That's strange for me i just download a torrent that was 4 gigs and it came in one part..

yeah some are just one part, and some are multiples....i wish they were all just one!..so much faster and easier

Back
Top Bottom