Match memory to MB listings only?

thebigdintx

Daemon Poster
i noticed that motherboard manufacture's website's (like gigabytes for example cause i looked at the p35 on there) have a compatable memory list with only certain models of ram sticks listed. i know that you could probably buy some sticks of the same specifications, but are not listed on the motherboard list and they will work, but wouldn't it be better to get one of the model's of memory from the motherboard list to make sure everything will play nice together? are the sticks different volts or something like some 1.8 and others 1.9 etc that would make the difference?

im not sure what ur trying to say. but in my mobo Manual it has a list of compatible memory, but i bought my memory before i got my mobo (thinking it would fit in my old comp, but it was DDR not DDR2) and well its G.Skill and its in my system now working fine and it wasn't on the list

well, on the gigabyte site for the compatable memory for the mb i am looking at it not only tells you the type (like ddr2 800) but it has a list with the name brands like kingston and stuff and it lists the various sticks by the sticks model number and everything...like 1 listing would be: "1GB stick of kingstons ddr2 800 model #xxxxxx", but if i bought a stick of "1GB of kingston ddr2 800 model #xxxxgg" or something, it's not officially compatible i guess?? even if it still works in the mb. why are the mb manufacturer's so specific to even list the specific model numbers of the compatable sticks? is it because of certain voltages they are trying to stay at for optimum performance?

um. i would say that there "Partners" or something. i think any DDR2 RAM would work with any DDR2 board. but im not sure about ur question

Asus has the same, it's called the QVL (Qualified Vendors List) It is memory modules that have been "physically" tested for 100% compatability with the m/board.

While it is not the "be all and end all" list of modules that will work in the board it is a list of modules tested and certified to run with 100% compatability at the rated speeds.

i guess it couldn't hurt to go the extra step of trying to get one of the same module number sticks that the mb lists just to be extra safe everything plays nice together...

EDIT: woops..sorry for the double post,,,wasn't thinking there..you can delete this one if you want and i'll just add the above as an edit on my post above this one...maybe beside the "edit" and quote" buttons we should have a "delete" button so we can just delete our own posts if we make a mistake like this one??

same as Asus

That HyperX 9600 is nice memory btw, nearly got a 2GB kit for my P5K when I had it, even got as far as ordering it, phoned them up and changed the order to this P5E3

lol

do you think it would be worth it to get the 1066 speed memory over the 800 since the board supports it? and i see you have to ddr3, should i even be looking at that so i'm not upgrading in another year?

go for it.

True u have like teh best computer ever. a quad a 8800GTS and DDR3 damn. it should have a name, hows TEH L33T 0N3?

Back
Top Bottom