Please help

iffy

In Runtime
I have the intention of running xp on my laptop. I have put the xp disc into the drive and ran it, but it will not give me an option to install the operating system! Why is this and what can I do to install the OS? I am currently running vista home basic which came pre-installed on the system.

no error messages. It just won't give the option to install windows when i open the disc icon.

Right I managed to get the windows xp disc to start up, I had to do it from the bios. But! It now says that there are no harddrives present and to make sure they are operational and configured correctly. I can start the laptop and use it as I am typing this reply from the system I want to format.

Wont the XP disc boot up when the BIOS is set first boot CD or is that what you mean above

i think what he's trying to say is that he can boot of the xp install disk, but it's telling him there are no hard drives detected. If this is the case go into BIOS and see if that's recognizing them. If not then try double checking the connection on the drive and the jumper configuration. if that doesn't work then you can always reset the CMOS by taking the battery out for a few seconds and putting it back in, or by setting the reset cmos jumper.

Johnnyblackouts hit the nail on the head. I cannot open the system but it's worth noting that the system is brand new. What am I supposed to be checking for in the BIOS? I did change the boot sequence because I couldn't boot from the CD. Shall I try and re-install vista and see if that comes up with the same error?

Back
Top Bottom