Graphic card help, which one?

geek_gal

Daemon Poster
I'm in need of a graphics card, the game i want to run is Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, but the system requirements state, 128 MB NVIDIA Geforce 5700 or ATI Radeon 9700+ , with OpenGL 2.0 drivers.

With the ATI Radeon 9700+, i don't understand my bf has a ATI Radeon 9600 series and it run's fine!
Does that mean its wrong or what?

Im so confused on what gfx card to get.

Also what does with OpenGL 2.0 drivers mean?

Thanks guys.

The 9600 isn't far behind the 9700 performance wise.

What is your budget and what computer/motherboard is it going into?

OpenGL is a shading language that the manufactures must comply to in designing graphics applications. Most, if not all newer cards and drivers comply with OpenGL 2.0.

Oh, suggestive, of couse, >.<

Does OpenGL come with the gfx card (like drivers or something, software?)

My mobo is Gigabyte S- series M61P S3, i dont really have a budget but i won't(for now) buy a card for over Aus$300

Would E.T.Q.W be a game that takes alot?

I want to also run Oblivion.

Thank you guys.

OpenGL is generaly supported through hardware and software and is included in the driver package.

A couple of nice video cards that will handle Oblivion fine and not break the bank would be a Nvidia 8600GT or ATI X1950 series card.

The X1950 would probaly be a better bet, since your not worrying about DX10 and all that.

*stands in corner and raises hand slowly* I've got a Sapphire Ati Radeon X1950XT...runs anything i throw at it and at the time about 6 months ago when i bought it, it was only 140 bucks....mines got 256mb of mem, but now at the same price or cheaper you can get em with the same or more mem.....i can run COD4 all on high settings perfectly, and i can run crysis all on med. settings quite well with a few on high.....pretty good card if you ask me, i was happy with it!

^ lol

But guys dont forget Sapphire Ati Radeon X1950XT, isnt that way behind the ATI Radeon 9700+ ?
Omg im confused.

Or is the X1950XT the new series out?

With memory, 256mb, is that even enough because what i have now has 512mb :\ !

No Geek_Gal, the 9700 was a card that got replaced by the 9800 which I had on a system a while back. Quite a capable card to be honest, though not by todays standards.
The X1950 is a Direct X 9 card, like the 9700 and 9800 was, but its faster, since it is newer. Don't get confused with the 1950 being a smaller number. That wasn't the case.
The X line came around after the standard line of numbered cards.

The X1950 is pretty fast, but again, its falling behind the times now, BUT its a very capable card, don't get me wrong.

And get on MSN please

Ohhh ok,
Thank you!

Well,

I'll have a list if prices to check and think about ~

8800GT
X1950

And get on MSN please
is inviting you to start Acting normal. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D)

You choose Decline all the time, alllll teh time.

Back
Top Bottom