http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX18885(ME).aspx

over getting

Patriot Extreme Performance Viper Series DDR2 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-6400
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX19945(ME).aspx
or
Patriot Extreme Performance DDR2 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-6400
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX17868(ME).aspx
(incredible price!!!)

Give me a basic rundown on how RAM affects an overclock with the frequencies and stuff because I heard it before but never fully comprehended it.

I am not biased to Patriot either I am just using them as an example.
I prefer them only because it is less confusing choosing RAM because they only have like 3 diff sets in each category(ie PC2-over 6400, PC2-6400, under PC2-6400) otherwise if some one can recommend a diff brand with exact model number because OCZ just complicates the hell out of things with a selection of like 20 diff RAM modules with random prices and all at PC2-6400 and even more over PC2-6400

EDIT::: Links Added

well if your overclocking your q6600 to like 3.2 with 400x8 .
pc6400 is 800mhz ram it will run 1:1 with your cpu so both are at full speed , getting better beformance from cpu and ram

not if you have good cooling.
and q6600 is very easy and safe to overclock to 3.2

@ OP, can you post the details of each memory module please, CAS latency, timings and voltages

the first two are pretty simple if the CAS latency is equal, the 9600 is faster than the 9200, you wouldn't actually notice the difference in real world use but it would show up in performance benchmarks.

Overclocking always carries risk, if you can't afford to lose your components then don't risk it, nearly always overclocking will void warranties.

With that warning out of the way I'd like to state that unless you do something really silly then most of the time by following good methodology successful overclocks are relatively easy to achieve.

Yeah I have overclocked a couple times before very successfully but I never understood the whole RAM issue I just raised the FSB and voltages according to the temps I was getting and orthos stability. I heard that if your raising your FSB so it runs higher than 800MHz then you should get RAM that also runs higher. I am trying to get a 3.6Ghz Stable OC constantly. I heard the Q6600 can get as high as 4Ghz stable on water and alot of people can get it stable at 3.8Ghz on air. Also 3.6 should be attainable with all the cooling I am getting(will add more fans to decrease temps if neccesary). Also I don't need to worry about losing componants, I am not on that tight of a budget.

Does anyone recommend RAM that is excellent for OC'ing

I added links as well to my first post.

Ideally a 1:1 FSB to Memory is desired but not always possible, so people buy higher rated memory with the idea of raising the FSB and dragging the cpu up to meet the ram rather than overclocking both cpu and memory or conversely overclocking both regardless of having to use a divider.

OK, the first set are both CAS5 so for the extra money the 9600 isn't really worth it because the 9200 should oc the extra 50MHz easily. To reach this you would need to utilise a divider (unlinked from FSB) because you'll never get the Q6600 to run at or above ~500MHz FSB so any thoughts of a 1:1 cpu/memory won't happen, Q6600's just don't run on a FSB that high. The speed of the memory is a trade off with the latencies, higher the speed the greater the latencies.

The second set (6400's) has a low latency module and an Extreme Latency module (that EL module is a honey too btw)

The thing with these is that you can run them at 1:1 ratio, with your cpu at 400x9 for 3.6GHz or 400x8 for 3.2GHz or 400x6 for 2.4GHz your memory is spot on to run at 400MHz FSB which is the jdec standard it is programmed to (DDR2 800). The kicker here is the transaction timings of 3-4-3-8, that is some quick ram.

If it were my decision I'd go with the UL CAS3 as they would probably run quite a bit faster with looser timings. I would say 450FSB would be no trouble so 450x9 for 4050GHz at 1:1

Back
Top Bottom