I loathe iTunes

mayorredbeard

Daemon Poster
I'm a Windows and Mac user. A rare breed. I own both and appreciate both, so I'm not really a fan-boy either way.

I own an iPod. Recently I formatted my harddrive. The only information I wanted to save was my music.

"No worry I thought, it's all on my iPod".

Well once my format is done I install iTunes, (and for some reason the quicktime that comes with it that tries to take over my media viewing needs), and hook up my iPod. I open iTunes and try and drag and drop my songs to my computer.

Low and behold the genius of Apple. They simply assumed that music was stolen/being stolen. They simply assumed no one would have a legitimate reason to back up songs from your iPod to your computer.

I continually attempted to drag and drop the files several times. I tried selecting them and copying them, then pasting them. I tried the export feature. However iTunes insisted I not move my music. Heavens forbid I must move my music ON and OFF my iPod.

In a rage I quit iTunes, opened up windows explorer, and just transferred the files myself. Quite annoying since iTunes decided its more effective to store my music in randomlly labeled folders with no correlation to other songs in the folder.

When the battery dies on this iPod I will not be getting another one. Either Zune or Creative zen after this annoying incident.

Whoa whoa whoa. I hope you haven't done anything with it. Did you format it???

OK, never mind, I saw what you did. I didn't think that was possible. All my files were well hidden and I searched forever for a free program that could do it and posted it in general electricals. It's quite a nice program to have anyway, so you might want to go check it out.

The problem is I have all my music. But it was legally downloaded and all nice and labeled. For some reason when I take the music off using windows explorer the information like:

'Title' 'Artist', and what not are lost. Hopefully using winamp or a free ripper I can find a way to not lose this information. I would hate to have 6 gigs of untagged music.

I'm a Windows and Mac user. A rare breed. I own both and appreciate both, so I'm not really a fan-boy either way.

You're not the only one.

Just email or contact Apple support and request they correct the situation. I'm sure they'll help you.

'Title' 'Artist', and what not are lost. Hopefully using winamp or a free ripper I can find a way to not lose this information. I would hate to have 6 gigs of untagged music.

Last time I used winamp to do that (which was maybe two years ago) it got all the info for the song. Time, Title, Artist, Album, Name. It was all there. I couldn't imagine them loseing a feature like that.

I absolutely hate how Apple makes you download Quicktime with iTunes. Stuff like that should be made illegal. It's as sleazy as packaging bloatware with an operating system.

I hate iTunes and iPods. I have a 30gig iPod video and I don't think I'll ever get another one again. Anything that doesn't let you just simply drag and drop your music and data onto the hard drive sucks. Not to mention the added Quicktime install that is necessary to use iTunes!

Back
Top Bottom