Razer Audio Card AC-1 & Headphones HP-1. Is it worth it?

Zer0Cool

Fully Optimized
Hello fellows,

I currently have the fallowing headphones, the HD555's from Sennheiser & I also have the X-Fi Elite Pro Sound Card from Creative.

X-Fi:
http://www.soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=208&product=14064&nav=1

HD555's:
http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/sennheiser-hd555/4507-7877_7-30822851.html?tag=sub

What I'm thinking of doing is to purchase a pair of the Razer Barracuda HP-1 Gaming Headphones & Razer Barracuda AC-1 Gaming Audio Card.

The HD555's that I currently have, they are a stereo headphones, a very solid build if I may say so, and a great sound. The HP-1 Headphones that I'm thinking of getting are a surround sound headphones which I think will benefit me better because I am a competitive CS 1.6 player and sound is everything for me, I need to be able to distinguish from where the enemies are coming…etc The Razer website indicates that if you also have the “Razer Barracuda AC-1 Gaming Audio Card” together the headphones and the card creates a much better combination that improves the surround sound…etc How true is that? Because I have “X-Fi Elite Pro Sound Card from Creative” that I spend $300 on. How good will the “HP-1 headphones” work with my current card? Will the “Razer Barracuda AC-1 Gaming Audio Card” (combined with HP-1) give the surround sound that much of a boost? Is it worth spending $200 on it? Or will I pretty much hear the same sound If I leave my X-Fi card and just get the “Razer Barracuda HP-1 Gaming Headphones”?

Which Audio card has better specs and why? if you guys can help me out and give me as much information as possible, why should I or Why shouldn't I get the sound card I would be really be grateful to you. I think I have my mind set to get the headphones no matter what, because they are surround sound, my current once are not...I know what some of you might say, that surround sound headphones is all BS, but when u need to pinpoint the enemies position in game I think that's where they really come in use.

Thank you. :D

Razer Barracuda AC-1 Gaming Audio Card

http://www.razerzone.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_16&products_id=41

Razer Fidelityâ„¢ gaming audio engine
Razer Enhanced Sonic Perceptionâ„¢
Integrated 24-bit / 192KHz S/PDIF receiver/transmitter
Dolby® Prologic IIx surround processor
Dolby® Digital Live 5.1 encoder
Dolby® Headphone technology
Dolby® Virtual Speaker
DTS® NeoPC
DTS® Interactive real-time encoder
7.1-channel digital audio playback
Supports EAXâ„¢ 2.0, Aureal3Dâ„¢ 1.0 and DirectSound

Audio Characteristics
Signal-to-noise ratio (output): 117dB
Frequency response (at 24-bit / 96KHz): 20~20,000Hz
Dynamic range: 116dB
Total harmonic distortion + noise: -97dB
Simultaneous voices: up to 128

Hardware Characteristics
PCI 2.2 interface (burst modes and bus mastering)
Four synchronous I2S input/output pairs
Razer High Definition-Dedicated Audio Interfaceâ„¢ (HD-DAIâ„¢ connector)
S/PDIF in/out Toslink connectors
CD-in
Aux-in

The Razer Barracuda HP-1 Gaming Headphones

http://www.razerzone.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_16&products_id=38

Razer Fidelityâ„¢ gaming audio engine
Eight discrete drivers (six for mid-high frequency, two for sub-woofer)
Six-channel analog input
Individual volume controls: front, rear, center, bass and master
Detachable uni-directional noise-cancelling microphone
Razer High Definition-Dedicated Audio Interfaceâ„¢ (HD-DAIâ„¢ connector)
2m cable

Audio Characteristics (Headphones)
Frequency response: 50~20,000Hz
Impedance:
- Front speaker: 64Ω
- Rear speaker: 32Ω
- Centre speaker: 64Ω
- Sub-woofer: 8Ω
Total power rating: 330mW RMS

Audio Characteristics (Microphone)
Frequency response: 50~16,000Hz
Sensitivity: -58 ± 2dB
Impedance: 2.2KΩ

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=208&product=14064&nav=1

Feature

24-bit Analog-to-Digital conversion of analog inputs: 96kHz sample rate
24-bit Digital-to-Analog conversion of digital sources: 96kHz to analog 7.1 speaker output

24-bit Digital-to-Analog conversion of stereo digital sources: 192kHz to stereo output
16-bit to 24-bit recording sampling rates: 8, 11.025, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48 and 96kHz

ASIO 2.0 support: 16-bit/44.1kHz, 16-bit/48kHz, 24-bit/44.1kHz 24-bit/48kHz and 24-bit/96kHz with direct monitoring

Enhanced SoundFont support: Up to 24-bit resolution
X-RAM: 64MB

SuperRip, THX certified, EAX ADVANCED HD, SoundFont Bank technology, Creative Multi Speaker Surround (CMSS) - 3D

Compliant Standards
THX, ASIO 2.0, EAX ADVANCED HD, Dolby Digital EX, Digital Theater Systems Extended Surround (DTS-ES

Sennheiser HD555

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/sennheiser-hd555/4507-7877_7-30822851.html?tag=sub

Features
Open-Aire â„¢,circumaural,dynamic,stereo headphones
Ergonomic Acoustic Refinement (E.A.R.)enables ideal sound channeling for a new kind of listening experience
State of the art,advanced Duofol diaphragms
Highly optimized,field-strengthened neodymium ferrous magnet systems
Outstanding comfort for long listening sessions
Velour ear pads even allow wearing eyeglasses without loss of comfort
Longevity through exchangeable components
Lightweight aluminium voice coils for high efficiency and excellent dynamics
Surround reflector improves spatial sound characteristics

General Specs
Frequency Response - 15-28000Hz
Nominal Impedance - 120ohms
Max Spl - (1kHz, 1Vrms), 103dB
Weight - 9.1oz
Transducer Principle - Dynamic, open
Thd - <0.2%
Headphones Specs
Transducer Principle - Dynamic, open
Weight Wo Cable- 9.1oz
Characteristic Spl - 103dB
Ear Coupling - Circumaural
Connectors
Connector - 6.3mm stereo jack with 3.5mm adapter(both gold plated) 10ft cable, (OFC), single-sided, changeable

Well, I have that sound card, and it's good, but probably not worth a $200 upgrade from an already amazing sound card. What I would do is get the Razer headphones, but just keep your same sound card.

Although reading this, it may be worth it to get the Barracuda:
http://peripherals.about.com/od/pcexpansioncards/fr/barracudaac1.htm

That was an interesting read man. I know if i get the Barracuda card, I would have to sacrifice the Console that came with x-fi card, and i love that Console to death :D unless there is a way to hook the console up to the barracuda somehow? Maybe like an adopter?

Well...what you could do is order both, and see if there's that big of a difference in using the Barracuda. And if there isn't, just return it and use the X-Fi.

" just return it and use the X-Fi." Can I do that? Will they give me my money back?

Yeah the Razor sound card seems to work tonnes better than the X-Fi. Optical outs from the word go. Just what I need to be honest.
I'm dissapointed with my X-Fi card that I have to be honest for reasons like that.

Yeah the Razor sound card seems to work tonnes better than the X-Fi. Optical outs from the word go. Just what I need to be honest.
I'm dissapointed with my X-Fi card that I have to be honest for reasons like that.

The X-Fi also have the optical outs. The counsel that came with my x-fi elite pro has it. On my 5500 logitec's optical does work better then the standard. why are u disappointed with the x-fi? do u have the razor card?

Yeah, the Elite has it. The standard X-fi only has a Coaxial out, I don't even know how to get working, since its in a standard jack that needs some kind of special extension cable.

I'm running my Z5500's through standard Analog at the moment, and it is poor.
The Xbox 360's Optical out seems to provide better music quality to tell the truth :p

So what would be ur suggestion kage? Im getting the razor headphones $122 I hope that they will pair nice with my x-fi. But lots of reviews sad that the headphones were made to go with there sound card $200. here is a small article that freestyler showed me.

"The HD-DAI connector that this card use is identical to the DVI connector on a graphics card in looks, but is functionally completely different. Razer used this new interface to attempt to get better sound quality, and it seems to have worked well for them. Before you get worried about being able to connect your 5.1 or 7.1 speakers to the Razer Barracuda AC1 Gaming Sound Card, Razer includes an adapter to convert the HD-DAI connector to one that will operate standard speakers.

The only device that is currently equipped to work with the Razer Barracuda AC1 Gaming Sound Card vi HD-DAI is Razer's own HP-1 gaming headphones. "

Back
Top Bottom