My notebook

importfilta

Beta member
For a gift I received a Dell XPS m1530 and wanted to get your opinions. What specs should I post for you to get a good idea and also what specs are best to look at and where do you find them? Any first stage precautions I should be looking to get covered. I really want to get into computers, can you help me learn how to monitor and fix problems? :)

Very good choice. That XPS model is pretty new on the market right now. Seems to target the Macbook Pro.

For starters, post your CPU, RAM, operating system, hard drive, graphics card, and screen resolution to give us a good look at your notebook.

As to what you should look for in a notebook, here are my priorities from least to greatest.

Graphics card -> RAM -> Hard drive -> Screen Resolution -> Brand -> Reliability

Very good choice. That XPS model is pretty new on the market right now. Seems to target the Macbook Pro.

For starters, post your CPU, RAM, operating system, hard drive, graphics card, and screen resolution to give us a good look at your notebook.

As to what you should look for in a notebook, here are my priorities from least to greatest.

Graphics card -> RAM -> Hard drive -> Screen Resolution -> Brand -> Reliability

Wow macbook competition, that probably won't last for long, but again I don't really know the capabilities of this computer. But I do know these so far....

1. Graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT? Can this handle any game?
2. RAM - 3070MB <--- isn't that 3 gigs?
3. Hard Drive - can't find specs. Any suggestions, is there a program that shows everything you have installed?
4. Screen Res. - current display mode: 1280 x 800 (32bit) (63Hz). Can that be changed? if so, should it?
5. Windows Vista with Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 @2.20GHz. Two of them I guess is how its coming up.

Also I have Windows Security for a firewall is that good enough? It says that I have no virus protection. Is that for the internet as well? Thanks :D

The mobile 8600Gt isn't going to be able to play a whole bunch of new games maxed, but it can play most on medium probably.

Yes, it's 3GB, with a bit shared with something.

To find HDD size, go to My Computer, right click the HDD, click Properties, and it will show you the total size, along with the used/unused space.

Your res should be fine. That's the res on my HP notebook with a 15.4" WS.

It comes up as 2 b/c it shows the default speed of the CPU, and then the over/underclocked speed of the CPU, if done. Most people don't over/underclock, so both will stay the same number.

Back
Top Bottom