Quick Help Please! Computer Posts With 3gb Of Ram In But Not 4gb!

You have exceeded the limitations of the os and it doesn't know what to do with it. So it sits there like a dumbshit. When you pull one stick out it drops back under the upper limit and is able to boot.

how can there be no way that someone hasn't found a way to work around this without going 64bit? :p

It's a core code limit. Some one some where may have reversed engineered xp and found a way. But surely 3 gigs is plenty for most home or business apps. You want to get more gigs, get a 64 bit system with a 64 bit os written out of the box to use 4+ gigs.

Its probably something funny with your motherboard (one slot faulty or something or in the wrong order),
but the 32 bit OS will not see more than 3GB's anyway, so even if Windows did boot, you wouldn't get any improvement anyway.

thanks Kage but we already adressed the 32 bit os problem earlier in this thread...i had already known that...the problem is that it won't boot...if it can't boot then i have to sit there and pull out a stick everytime i got from linux back to windows!

i've tried all slots in all orders with just 3gb and they all work fine as well as i have memtested all the ram as stated earlier in this thread, too.

Just for clarification. Is the computer going through the post screens, and then hanging at the XP load screen? Or is it just refusing to post with all four sticks?

it goes through NO screens....no mobo splash screen (where you access the bios) and no xp load screen...you simply turn it one, it runs all the fans at max speed and keeps running them at max until you shut it off....no beeps or nothing!...

The screen wouldn't say ANYTHING when i had my timings at 4-4-4-12, 2 cmd timing (rated for the ram) and then when i set it to auto, same thing again but this time it did beep and the fans idled down but all the screen said was my make/model of my video card "x1950xt pcie 16" in gray text on a black background...again no mobo splash screen or xp boot screen!

who knows...when i'm done with my online classwork, i'm going to bump the voltage up to 2.25v and see if that helps (right now it's in auto and they are rated at 2.2 but 2.25v is closest to 2.2 in my bios)

It's definitely not an OS limitation as others have suggested as it's not even getting that far. Maybe you could look into a BIOS update.

Back
Top Bottom