Q6600 OCed @ 2.8Ghz, CPU Temps around 60*C

True, I'm not sure about your RAM question but I can check later. I'm gonna try to go ahead and OC to 2.8Ghz and 1.2 vcore.

If you succeed with that voltage try the next lower setting until you get failure to boot, then step up one. Once you have it booting at X.XXv then run a stress programme (I prefer prime95) to ensure it is stable at that voltage under load, if it fails under load then up the voltage one more increment at a time until it is stable, that should give you the lowest stable load voltage and the lowest temperature at your overclock.

hey ghost im back .
how the overclocking going. your temps seemed ok from the pics posted above.

just to make you feel safer i think you should buy a aftermaket cooler like zalman 9700NT.

Hey Cryman, nice to see ya again.

Okay, so here's a nice little update for y'all:

Went ahead and OC'ed the computer back to 2.8Ghz, and set the CPU voltage to 1.2v. Ran fine, tests showed the temperature averaging around 59-60*C at the HOTTEST point, which is great!

Then I went and watched Bourne Ultimatum. I came back to my computer and realized that Everest (I think) was not responding. The computer was still being stressed, though, since I could hear the fans running at 100%. I'm not sure if the computer froze because of Everest, but I HAVE had the damn program freeze one me quite a few times after doing the "Stress Test" they provide in the program. Basically, the mouse was responding and moving around, but nothing else on the screen would respond. No CTRL ALT DEL, nothing. So I did a hard shutdown and just rebooted.

It looks okay so far...I might run another stress test other than Everest's, and I'll monitor the temps with coretemp. Atm, the core temps are 42, 42, 37 and 39 and my room IS pretty stuffy/warm (heater running.) This seems good for now.

I guess I'll post up another test after I run it, but I think I'll stay at 2.8ghz for now. I'm definitely considering getting a new HSF, but I'm certainly not looking forward to removing my motherboard. -_-

Anyway, thanks guys. I'll post back asap.

Chris

Try prime95 or Orthos for stress tests, I prefer prime tbh, if prime has a thread failure then try adding one more voltage increment in the bios.

@cryman, first day back at school for you?? or was that yesterday? my son (grade 12) went in yesterday but he had no school so I had to go pick him up, I gave him heaps too :D

Ok, ran a program i've got called CPU Stability Test 6.0, temps were as follows:

Under 100% CPU load, they remained at:
55*
55*
50*
52*

I'll go ahead and try Prime95 now. So far, it's promising. :)

Run the "Small FFT's" test for maximum cpu stress.

Looking good mate, don't worry about taking out your m/board for an aftermarket cooler, we're here to answer any questions you may have

;)

Run the "Small FFT's" test for maximum cpu stress.

Looking good mate, don't worry about taking out your m/board for an aftermarket cooler, we're here to answer any questions you may have

;)

I *think* that's the test I selected. Its been over an hour and my core temps have no gone over 51-52*. The highest two keep fluctuating between 48* and 52*. This seems to be pretty stable if you ask me!

True, thanks for the advice and help. This was great. I'll keep you guys posted on anything else I try, including an OC @ 3Ghz, a new HSU, etc.

All the best,

Chris

EDIT: I ran Large FFTs since it stated the most heat. I'll do small now! -_-

Glad to help mate, just remember that you'll probably need better cooling come summer and always keep an eye on your temps while you're overclocked.

A computer is generally considered to be prime stable after 10-12 continuous hours of prime with no errors, no red worker threads.

Cheers

:)

Glad to help mate, just remember that you'll probably need better cooling come summer and always keep an eye on your temps while you're overclocked.

A computer is generally considered to be prime stable after 10-12 continuous hours of prime with no errors, no red worker threads.

Cheers

:)

Sounds good :). I'm currently running the Small FFT test while chatting on AIM, on Firefox, and listening to music on winamp. Temps aren't even going over 51*C, and i'm leaving this on until tomorrow morning when I wake up (a good 12-14 hours, maybe even more.)

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom