Harddrive help needed

BrianS

In Runtime
I had a computer that could not boot up (Windows XP). I was given an error that said "windows could not start because the following file is corrupt or not found. C:\windows\system32\config\system.

It told me to put the Windows setup CD in and run restore to try to fix the problem. I put it in, and then it gave me a command prompt after pressing "r" in the windows setup program. I went to microsoft's website found the information that I needed to fix the problem. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545)

Well I got to the 5th step, and wrote 2 lines in the command prompt and then my computer restarted. i was unable to boot up to anything at all then. I just got the screen that normally comes up when you boot up. It said "Gateway" and pres F2 and F10 for boot menu and setup.

I pulled that hard drive out and put in in another computer to see if I could just copy the relevant files that I would like to save off of it (basically everything done in the past 2 weeks (time since my last backup). Instead now when I boot up my other computer with both drives in it and go to My Computer I am shown that bad drive as the E:drive. And instead of the 250 GB that is is supposed to be, it only shows about 5GB total and about 3.5GB of used space. When I double click on the drive i am shown a folder that says system volume information.

Is there any way to get that hard drive back so I can just copy some stuff off of it while piggy backing off my other computer?

Ok, I figured out that if I ran Bart PE, I was able to access the files I needed and then i just threw a new hard drive in there.

----Case closed.

Back
Top Bottom