Buying Lenovo R61 - advice on specs?

marcousw

Beta member
I am settled on buying an R61 - I'm used to the R series (been through three of them) and they've always met my needs. This laptop needs to last me about three years. I'll be doing mostly business stuff but I want to be able to play hi def videos and DVDs and do some moderate gaming.

Specs are below. Biggest question - should I upgrade to a 7200 RPM hard drive? I could only afford 160gb, which would be a lot less storage, but I don't want to have a nice laptop and a bottleneck at the hard drive.

I'm trying to keep this below $1500 if possible.

Thanks for any advice!

Part Number 8918CTO
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T9300 (2.5GHz 800MHz 6MBL2)[1]
Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate[12]
15.4" WSXGA+,BT
nVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M, PC Card/ PCIe
3 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)[8]
UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) with Finger Print Reader
250 GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm[4]
DVD Recordable 8x Max Ultrabay Enhanced[5]
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG[10]
6 cell Li-Ion Battery ( 2.4 Ah )[60]
3 Year Depot Upgrade with 3 Year ThinkPad Protection
Price with discounts:$1,461.51

Well I can highly reccommend this machine... My school distributes them to the students expecting a life expectancy to be at least 4 years. One thing I would look into is a higher capacity battery.

it looks like a good computer.

just the video card is a little weak for gaming .but can be easly upgraded

Looks like its a great setup for a great price. Consider getting an extra battery if you're gonna be on the move a lot.

Side-Note: If you go to school/college, us students get a nice discount off of some PCs and laptops. I'm considering getting the new Dell XPS laptops (The 13.3" one) since Dell is offering a kickass deal on a fully-loaded one for almost $800 OFF the original price. Check out their website.

Back
Top Bottom