computer starting problems

cattak

Beta member
Operating system and version windows xp service pack 2

Motherboard make and model. eVGA nForce 680i SLi 122-CK-NF63-TR

CPU chip and details such as over clocked. intel p4 ... not sure on the ghz and not overclocked

Memory type and how much. Single channel or dual. gskill 2gb 800 mhz dual channel i think

Video card make and model, and whether it's an AGP, PCI, or onboard video chips. ati radeon x1650 pci express

Sound card make and model, and whether it's a soundcard or AC97 onboard sound. onboard sound

Any other pci cards make and model. none

Hard drives make and model. western digital 250 sata

Optical drives make and model writemaster

Power supply make and model. 500watt and it came with the case (eagletech dragon)

now for the problem. tried to set up a wireless card in it and now it doesn't fully turn on. the card is a comcast wireless pci adapter, model number possibly wg311 v2.

what happens upon startup is that it powers on and after about a minute shuts back off. i was unable to try to go into safe mode and do anything due to the length of safe mode startup. going into the bios had the same result.

it doesn't make any indicating beeps, but the led's on the motherboard do work, and the number/letter things on the motherboard are working as well.. i'm assuming it's some sort of codes that might help, so it goes through a bunch of them then stops on 75, goes through a few more and stops on ff waits about 10 seconds then shuts off.

ok, FF means finished or something like that. Basically POST is done and it's all ready to boot into some kind of operating system.

Have you tried taking out that wireless card?

d'oh! i went over the post making sure i didn't forget anything and figures i'd forget something somehow.

the wireless card is out of the computer already.

*checks computer again for anything else i may have forgot to list*

Make sure all cables and wires are securely connected. Check to see if your add in cards, (video, sound, etc) and memory are all fully seated.

Did you re-check all power connections, or try re-setting BIOS?
i tried unplugging the power cords and replugging them also, i popped the battery out and put that back in and still doesn't turn on fully. couldn't find a jumper to hit on the board.

Make sure all cables and wires are securely connected. Check to see if your add in cards, (video, sound, etc) and memory are all fully seated.

tried that as well after the bios thing didn't seem to work and still not working right.

Try booting up with the bare minimum. Meaning no GPU (if you have on board graphics), one stick of ram only, only the master hdd, no cd drives and what not, and see what happens.

Also if you still have the same problem; I would recommend burning an Ubuntu Live CD to see if you can boot that. This way we can at least isolate this to a hardware or software problem.

Try booting up with the bare minimum. Meaning no GPU (if you have on board graphics), one stick of ram only, only the master hdd, no cd drives and what not, and see what happens.

Also if you still have the same problem; I would recommend burning an Ubuntu Live CD to see if you can boot that. This way we can at least isolate this to a hardware or software problem.

couldn't do it without the video card, but i unplugged 1 ram, the dvd drive, and wasn't sure which hard drive was the master so i tried them both and they both had the same result, didn't turn on.

as for the unbuntu cd not sure if it's possible right now

Back
Top Bottom