Whats going on with my connection??

BrynF_UK

Fully Optimized
Ok, I was playing BF2 online, and was getting a High Ping of around 995 (sometimes 1000+, sometimes less than 500) but when i did a speed test, it showed i was getting 503 Kb/s (my connection is 512Kb/s) and yet it was so, so slow...

So, i did some more speed tests, two to test the "speed" and another two to test the "bandwidth":

Speed Test 1:
SpeedTest1.jpg

Speed Test 2:
SpeedTest2.jpg

Bandwidth Test 1:
BandwidthTest1.jpg

Bandwidth Test 2:
BandwidthTest2.jpg

I don't know much about this, but could it be that although the speed itself is pretty close to what i should be getting, they're somehow limiting the bandwidth or is it just that there isn't enough bandwidth :confused:

Also, i was wondering what kind of broadband is best? Were using ADSL at the moment, and there is a local company offering satellite broadband that is 1Mb, but the exchanges around where i live (in the UK btw) are old

I would say its your ISP implementing a fair usage policy, as the INTERNET grows and more and more people turn to broadband every ISP will become over whelmed by users, maybe you ISP is a popular one with gamers so there server cant take it so they have reduced your speed at peek times, run the test at like 9AM & 1 PM then at 6PM AND 10 PM, this will tell you if your being capped and at what times of the day.

VIRGIN MEDIA, Thats what happened. Not really :). During certain peak hours, the "INTERNETS GOES SLOWER". Basically there is congestion at your ISP's servers, and that can cause heafty speed loss, and latency gain. Apparently. But i am yet to notice.

Yeah, suprise suprise I looked at their website and they no longer offer 512Kb/s, instead they only offer a minimum of 1Mb/s - which is a joke if they cant even give us 512kb/s.

Strangely enough, they still only charge us for 512kb/s.....

that happend to me on bigpond , but i figured out you could goto the site and chage it. you might be able to do the same thing.or just give them a ring
it is annoying how they upgrade and dont upgrade you with it.

Verizon DSL FTW! No usage caps, no "fair-usage" policy, just unlimited downloading, surfing, and gaming for me. :) It sucks for torrents, but almost all ISPs do. Yes, I have my ports forwarded.

I get good pings in all my online games, all the time.

Of course, I don't think Verizon DSL is available across the pond, as it were, but there are still some similar ISPs over there. For an arm and a leg of course.

ha yeah, we probably do have some like verizon, but i have to try to convince my parents to change to 2mb :rolleyes: not to mention some unlimited package lol

Back
Top Bottom