Dual Channel Memory

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
so far i have 2 gb of ram, made by PNY, but running the cpu-z seems like the manufacturer are different, one stick is made by PNY Electronics and the other is made by Nanya Technology. which is kind of weird how theyre both PNY optima memory, but anyways i got it to work on dual channel, but everytime i restart my computer, i hear long beeps, theres 3 seconds between them. and to get it to work, i have to flip the switch on my power supply and flip it back, and turn on my computer again. could the different manufacturer mess up the dual channel?
i read the DFI FAQ and it said something like everything has to be the same

(To avoid encountering memory compatibility problem, it is highly recommended using two, three and four exactly the same memories simultaneously. It is better purchasing memories at the same time. If there is a set of same memory specification, but purchased in different time, the chips, timing and PCB revision might be different. There might be a loading inaccuracy, if the memories working at the same time, the system might crash easily. Hence, we strongly recommended using exactly the same memories simultaneously.)

thanks in advance

do they both work seperately ?..ie take one stick out and boot with just 1 in ?..try it with each one see if it boots ok.

yes, they both work individually
Does the computer boot after the 3 beeps?

I don't know alot about memory timings, but I know there are apps that can change the timings.

You could try jumping the CMOS to clean out any settings/return the BIOS to default and see if that changes anything.

I think there are only a few core manufacturers of memory chips. Then different companies buy different grades of chips. So, Crucial, Kingston etc all buy high grade chips and so on. Higher grade chips have better memory timings I think. So, many memory brands often have chips from the same manufacturer.

I guess it's possible that PNY has branded there own set of modules, but the chips are of different grades/timings. So it's probably a timing problem as mentioned above.

(Then above may be a load of crap, I could be wrong) - Could anybody back me up on this?

Back
Top Bottom