cpu at 2.6ghz but runs at 1.73ghz

Bocian320

Solid State Member
here's my problem, my original cpu overheated since my fan broke and i replaced my original cpu which was 2.4ghz (i dont remember more specs on the old cpu).
the new cpu is 2.6ghz but my pc runs at 1.73 ghz, does anyone know what's the matter with it?
i tried putting in a 2.4ghz cpu, thinking that my motherboard couldnt handle .2ghz more but with the 2.4ghz cpu, the computer ran at 1.6ghz...

i ran CrystalCPUID and here is the info that i got, hope this helps:

Name String Intel(R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz

QPC Current Original

Internal Clock 1733.40 2600.00 Mhz
System Clock 133.34 200.00 Mhz
System Bus 533.35 800.00 Mhz
Multiplier 13.00 13.00
Over Clock -33.33 % QDR

From this, my cpu is underclocked, anyone that can help, i greatly appreciate it!
also, what im thinking is that my motherboard maybe cannot handle 800mhz and only goes up to 533mhz, but i have no idea, im not too keen on this stuff

thanks in advance!

::EDIT:: here is the motherboard information that i got from Everest Ultimate:

Motherboard Name: ECS P4VXASD2+ (4 PCI, I AGP, 1 CNR, 2 SDR DIMM, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio)
Motherboard Chipeset: VIA VT8753A Apollo P4X333

::Also from Everest Ultimate::

Front Side Bus Properties

Bus Type Intel GTL+
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 133 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 533 MHz
Bandwidth 4266 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties

Bus Type DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
DRAM:FSB Ratio 1:1
Real Clock 133 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 2133 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties

Bus Type VIA V-Link
Bus Width 8-bit
Real Clock 67 MHz (ODR)
Effective Clock 533 MHz
Bandwidth 533 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties Effective Clock is 533Mhz, since the cpu is 800mhz, could this be the trouble? Is there a way then to ge the cpu to work at 2.6 despite this?

You are correct, the motherboard is 533/400MHz and the CPU is 800MHz, they're not compatible, I'm surprised it even boots.

You need a to change one or the other, I'd suggest keeping the cpu and upgrading the board to a 800MHz one.

thanks for the reply, is there a way i could overclock this cpu, even though its underclocked?

That wouldnt matter at the moment, you would have to get a mobo that is compatible with your processor to do some overclocking.

thanks for the replies, i found a good deal and bought a 3.06Ghz processor but my pc won't boot up with it once i installed it. could my motherboard not handle the speed? is there a way of checking the motherboard's compatibility as far as what's the max for cpu speed? this process does have a 533 fsb which my motherboard works with...
any help is, as always, appreciated!
thanks

Back
Top Bottom