I'm a little worried...

Ð88

Fully Optimized
Ok, so im these forums i sometimes post on but not too often. I was asking some questions and this moderator took it the wrong way and got pissed off about it. Well, i kind of added fuel to the fire and got him really mad at me and he threatened to hack me because he knows my IP address. Is there a chance that he could do that and should i really be worried? He sounded serious. I imagine he got my IP from the logs that the moderators have access to (like on this forum).

Well, if it was on this forum, i would report the mod (well i would no matter what forum your on)
You can't be tracked by your IP address. That cannot show your direct address. It can show your city (and OS and such) but not your address. The mod probably was just trying to scare you and is not showing "mod-like" qualities.

ok well mods can usually get ur IP anyways. it says it from every post u make. thats just what i found out being a mod on another site. but he can hack ur computer. as long as ur firewall is up and u dont see anything unusuall dont worry about it. and BTW the only ay he can get ur IP from logs is if he sent u a picture in a PM (or something similar) and u opened it. then it would show in the log.

and if he does get u somehow then hit me up and u know pay backs a bitch

and if ur real real worried, like if ur computer is that valuble (whatever files or something) then u can request a new IP from ur ISP

Ok, so im these forums i sometimes post on but not too often. I was asking some questions and this moderator took it the wrong way and got pissed off about it. Well, i kind of added fuel to the fire and got him really mad at me and he threatened to hack me because he knows my IP address. Is there a chance that he could do that and should i really be worried? He sounded serious. I imagine he got my IP from the logs that the moderators have access to (like on this forum).
First of all, report him. This isn't behavior that should be tolerated on a professional forum like this. He should be ashamed of himself.

Secondly, you're safe. I can pretty much bet that he was a complete douche, and doesn't even know how to hack. Unless you are running unsecure services like telnet or something you're safe.

In the end, anyone who "threatens" to hack is a complete idiot. If you tell someone that you're going to hack them, you take all the wiggle room out of the situation. If you are a hacker, you only hack when you know you can get away with it. If he did hack you now, you would know who did it. Simply contact a lawyer, have him contact a judge who then subpeonas computerforums.org for IP logs of all members (including the MOD who hacked you). They will then track the IP to his doorstep, and he's screwed.

As an Information Security OfficerI can tell you that we take hacking very seriously. If this was my forum I would really look into accounts such as this and take disciplinary actions against this "MOD". If its just some stupid member, it's nothing but to shrug it off, but a MOD should be able to act maturely.

He's not talking about CF guys...he's talking about another forum.

But no, I seriously doubt he can do anything with just your IP address. If you had some type of server running (e-mail, HTTP, FTP, telnet, etc) then you could start to worry, but on a personal computer there's really no way to "hack" it. To hack it, there has to be a way in, which requires an exploit.

If you want to be really safe, install ZoneAlarm or another firewall. It also helps a lot to be behind a router.

thanks guys that helps a lot. I am in fact, behind a router although I do not have a firewall (aside from windows firewall which i imagine is easy to break). I'll have to just keep an eye on any suspicious activity. And you're right, if someone does hack my computer I will know who it is and I will track him down.

thanks guys that helps a lot. I am in fact, behind a router although I do not have a firewall (aside from windows firewall which i imagine is easy to break). I'll have to just keep an eye on any suspicious activity. And you're right, if someone does hack my computer I will know who it is and I will track him down.

You can't really do crap with just an IP.

With just an IP, that basically limits you to exploiting security holes you can see. Due to your NAT router, he won't be able to see anything that your computers are running, making him "hacking" you nearly impossible.

It's when they know your IP, what ports you have forwarded (if any), and any security holes in the software your running. Or at least thats my understanding.

You'll be fine. Report him, change your IP millions of times...

just unplug your modem every day.

you don't have anything to worry about.

I've never heard something like that happening.

Back
Top Bottom