SATA to USB DVD Burner

NeciFiX

In Runtime
My computer is a tad old and only has 2 SATA ports and my two HDD's are using them. So, I am planning on using my last PCI slot to house a USB 2.0 PCI Hub with 4 external USB's and 1 internal and get a SATA to USB Converter. How slow would the DVD Burner be, if functional at all? USB 3.0 is a lot better than USB 2.0 and it should be out sometime in '08 so I can just get a USB 3.0 PCI hub and that should show some improvement but what do you think?

Edit: * USB 3.0 (Future version): On September 18, 2007, Pat Gelsinger demonstrated USB 3.0 at the fall Intel Developer Forum. USB 3.0 is targeted at ten times the current bandwidth, reaching roughly 5.0 Gbit/s by utilizing two additional high-speed differential pairs for "Superspeed" mode, and with the possibility for optical interconnect.[20] The USB 3.0 specification is planned to be released in the first half of 2008, commercial products are expected to arrive in 2009 or 2010.[21]

I think that means it won't be fully out till 2009 or 2010? If so, damn, but, I'll just have to wait. It's 5 AM so I can't think clearly about that lol.

it shoulden't get too much of a performance hit....they sell enclosures that have sata that plug in via usb.

Back
Top Bottom