Wireless internet help

TomMahas8012

Beta member
I need some help and I figured this would be a good place to get it. I work at a church where our internet connection is all wireless sent from a Linksys WRT54GS Wireless-G Broadband Router with SpeedBooster. The problem is that my office is in a separate building and I cannot get Internet from my desk, I need to move to a room closer to the church building where the signal is being sent. The church says that they will buy what is needed to fix this problem so I was wondering if there were any suggestions out there.

A product that I was looking for but I don't know if it exist is a receiver that I can put at the end of my building that get the signal and then sends it again to my end of the building that is out of reach.

Thanks

Tom

Ahhh.... maybe you should tell your church about the new 802.11n routers. These routers get extremely far range and faster throughput. You just have to make sure you have a compatible wireless NIC.

The problem is that there is a driveway between the two buildings so unless we cut through the pavement or suspend a wire above it the option has to be wireless.
1. Get a longer distance transmitting router
2. Get a larger antenna on your NIC
3. Get Repeater/Access Point
4. Make a Cantenna

I have an 802.11n router. It sends out a strong enough signal that I can use it in a seperate building that is about 50 feet from the house it is in.

What you could do is get one of those from somewhere like Office Depot and try it out, then return it if you saw it didn't do the trick. If you do that, then just make sure you purchase it from a store that wouldn't charge a restocking fee if you did't like it.

I have an 802.11n router. It sends out a strong enough signal that I can use it in a seperate building that is about 50 feet from the house it is in.

What you could do is get one of those from somewhere like Office Depot and try it out, then return it if you saw it didn't do the trick. If you do that, then just make sure you purchase it from a store that wouldn't charge a restocking fee if you did't like it.
Lol, i do that with floppy drives whenever I need one, cause I don't want to buy and keep one. USB ones cost like $50.

Are there any windows near the room with the wireless router and the building that you are in. Because you could get a get a wireless-g access point and use that to bounce the signal to the room that you are in. A product like the Wireless-G Access Point model number WA54G might do the trick.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom