Estatic Unstable GPU

NeciFiX

In Runtime
I ordered a Sapphire Radeon x1650 GPU from Newegg here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102086 and some strange things are occurring. First off, the core clock came about 90 MHz underclocked, if I try and change it, the GPU messes up, the monitor loses signal, and forces me to restart my computer. The memory clock is really odd because it is 796 MHz, only 4 MHz less than the should-be-clocked limit, but, on occasion, it will for no reason OC itself up to 830 MHz, then after a restart, go back down. At least this is what ATiTool reports. If I try and make the slightest adjustment to the core clock or to the Mem clock the GPU either makes games flicker or if I do it more than a few MHz, I get a black screen with no change, just a black screen, on one occasion a white screen. It is at 56C at its current clock and I don't NEED to desperately OC but I'd like my core clock to be where it should be. I am using the DVI cord that came with it, could it be the cord? I have the GPU connected in the AGP 8x slot, it is properly connected to the PSU (400W PSU I bought from FSP Here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104953 its max is 400 and normal is 350W, however, the GPU I bought only requires 350W, on top of that, I took out my floppy drive and disconnected a CD Drive because I decided I didn't need them, nor do I have the time to re-connect them), it is properly connected to the cord that came with it, and then to the PSU and then one of my hard drives.

Should I return the GPU as defective? I'd really rather not, as I hate shipping things back and forth back and forth, quite annoying. Plus, as you may have seen from the "Am I a Jerk to Customer Service" topic, I don't take customer service well. I've tried removing/adding the drivers back in from ATI (the newest ones from ATi themselves). More confusing, when I try to adjust the settings down or up too much, after I restart my PC the corner of my screen has huge white blotches spraying everywhere from the bottom left corner of the screen (the Windows login screen) and is on 1680x1050 at 16 bit (this is corrected by bringing it up to 32 bit). The GPU is working fine now, albeit severely underclocked Core-wise, no spray marks, looks good, but, I can't get it to factory settings, it is underclocked, and any adjustments screws it up. I could try using D-Sub/VGA... but, I'm not too sure. As I said, I tried re-installing/uninstalling the new Catalyst drivers, but, to no avail. ATITool and the Catalyst control center both report that the GPU's temp is a decent 56C and isn't overheating. So what's the deal? I bought a new AL2216Wbd 22 inch Widescreen LCD Monitor but from what I'm seeing I severely doubt it's the monitor. This is odd!

your best bet is to get and RMA, since if its not working with factory settings somethings wrong :) most sellers will arrange the pick-up (i don't know about Newegg since i don't use them) on a day you choose and they'll also cover the pick-up charges (all 3 different suppliers I've had to RMA something with have done so).

thats what I'd do anyway :D

Hmm. I'm surprised I've only gotten one reply considering how serious this is...

Any other help... maybe...?

Later I'll try using the VGA Cable, see if it's simply just not getting a signal. If it works using VGA I'll keep using VGA while I order another DVI Cable. If that doesn't work I might as well RMA it.

Newegg seriously has the best customer service ever. RMA it.

All you have to do is fill out an RMA application on their site. It's under My Account. In a day or so, they'll e-mail you to tell you if it was approved or not. They tell you exactly how to ship it back, and give you a label to print out for it. Wait a few days, and you'll have a new GPU.

I have no printer.

I found the issue by looking at ATI's site: http://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=27386

So, should I just deal with it? Or what? Anything I can do?

Edit: The link doesn't work, so here's what it says:

The information in this article applies to the following configuration(s):

* Catalyst Control Center - Overdrive
* Catalyst Display Driver 7.4
* Radeonâ„¢ X1950 Pro
* Radeonâ„¢ X1650 series
* Windows Vista 32-bit Edition
* Windows Vista 64-bit Edition
* Windows XP Professional
* Windows XP Home Edition
* Windows XP Media Center Edition
* Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

Symptoms:
When using the automated clock configuration utility in the Catalyst Control Center, ATI Overdrive section, users may experience flashing displays. The display(s) may flash until the clock speeds are returned to their default values.

Solution:
Currently there is no solution. Users with this issue are requested to run their cards at default clock speeds.

ATI Engineering has been advised of this issue and is investigating. Any updates will be published when they become available.

------

CRAP! Should I just return it? This is annoying. Plus, I don't even have the money/transportation to return it (car is totaled in car crash).

I have a HIS X1650Pro OC and the memory clock was a few mhz off spec. I think its normal to get a card running within a few mhz of spec. As far as the core clock being 90Mhz off thats odd.

Run a game in windowed mode and monitor ATI tool and see if your core clock jumps to the correct spec. It could be set at a lower 2d clock then when you game it goes into 3d clock mode. You could also download everest to check your clocks while your in a game.

If it doesn't change RMA the card. Copy the print page and take it to a friends that has a printer if you have to.

I don't have any friends that have printers lol I haven't been to any of my friends' houses in four years, but, I will try that tomorrow when I'm not so tired.

Okay, I'd just like to let everyone who helped know that I've fixed the problem somehow. I went back into the PC, made sure the GPU was completely in, tightened the DVI cables in just to make sure the signal is great, then I tightened the GPU in (made the screw tighter, it wobbled before) and then when I went back to my desktop I OC'ed it about 5 MHz on the core and the games still flickered, I kept doing it more and more and I got from 499 MHz Core to 547 MHz Core and 851 MHz Memory, I tried to do it a bit more and I got my first BSOD in about 2 years, and when my PC restarted the VPU Recovery process didn't take place, and then I tried a game with the OC settings again and miraculously no flickering! While I'd like to OC it more than like 50-60 MHz I think this is good for now, I'd rather not mess with it again.

Back
Top Bottom