CPU types

Don't be put off by the Intel Pentium Dual core lineup though. The name is off putting but they are actually fully fledged Core 2 Duos with 1MB cache and can overclock as high as 3.6GHz.
Borat's right, they're not very good. The tiny cache hurts them. A real Core 2 Duo is a much better choice if it's in the budget.

As I said before, if you can afford the Q6600, that's the chip to get right now.

Pentium really wasn't all that bad in it's time. It's just not worth getting now over a C2D or C2Q. Celerons are for budget stuff, basic tasks.

Dual Cores are generally better for gaming unless the game is threaded for quads which very few are. So if you are a gamer, you don't need a quad core yet.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback and suggestions.

I've gone with the Q6600 and the computer flies - it's awesome!

Thanks again :)

Derek

I have enjoyed reading your posts, I am also building a new system and was wondering which of the CPUs you have been discussing would work best to do video editing with Adobe Premier CS3

Thanks,

James

Video editing would definintely benefit from a quad. Consider a Phenom if you don't want to spend that much money on a Q6600 or a 45nm quad.

Back
Top Bottom