thoughts on Ubuntu

waldorfpc

In Runtime
So far I have seen much negativ things about it. People ar constantly having issues with it. Clients have come to me in rage as a result of Ubuntu corrupting their computers. I hate it. But, what are your thoughts?

I have use ubuntu on a few different computers (including all of the ones listed in sig) and have had no problems. It's a very easy to use get yourself into linux operating system. Chances are if they had a problem with it corrupting their computer they were playing with something they didn't understand and should have played with and it screwed something up. The exact same thing happens with windows machines as well.
What exactly do you mean by it corrupting there computers anyway, that can be taken many ways.

Ive been thinking about using it for some time as well, from what I can see is the problems seem to occur when people try to remove it, it has something to do with the boot loader as when it installs it makes a partition in your windows, can someone confirm this, and say that they have removed it easily? I have spent a little time on it running it from the CD.

Chances are if they had a problem with it corrupting their computer they were playing with something they didn't understand and should have played with and it screwed something up.

exactly! It's not the operating systems fault that people do not realize that they have no idea what they are doing.

And blackjack, there shouldn't be any problems removing it. It does install a new boot loader, but unlike the crappy windows boot loader this one actually works with other operating systems just fine.

Not sure if the boot loader is removed when you uninstall ubuntu, but if it is then all you need to do is install it again. (or install any other boot loader)

Mammikoura is exactly correct! Ubuntu isn't a hard OS to learn to use and understand. The operative word is LEARN. Most people don't take the time to learn how it works. Sure it is similar to windows, in that it has all the same programs, and look and feel. But that is as far as it goes.

In Windows everyone knew that you could use run to bring up the network connections with ncpa.cpl. That doesn't work in Ubuntu. I guess what I am saying without being to long winded is that just like with every new distro of Windows you had to do some learning, so take the time and do some learning. Don't think well my friend has Ubuntu and makes it look so easy so I can do the same thing.

Ubuntu IS easy, just learn to understand it.

Cheers!

Ubuntu, like any other distros involves command Line, but it is actually very easy to use. I personally don't like it, because there is so many features, I fell it's all scriptings and it kinda makes me powerless to it.

Ive been thinking about using it for some time as well, from what I can see is the problems seem to occur when people try to remove it, it has something to do with the boot loader as when it installs it makes a partition in your windows, can someone confirm this, and say that they have removed it easily? I have spent a little time on it running it from the CD.

the funny thing is, that is when the problems occur with all my clients. They want to convert back to Windows, and it messs things up. I'm glad you mntioned this. If anyone has anything to contribute, please let us know so we all can know of an easy removal.

If your running xp just put in the disk and go to recovery console and use the fixboot command. This will bypass grub and go back to the windows bootloader and you can boot into windows, delete the linux partitions and repartition to use as storage or whatever. This is obviously if you are dual booting, if they only have linux and want to switch to windows you need to reinstall the os and delete all the partitions before installing.

I don't know which negatives you hear about it, I love using Ubuntu.

Even using a live CD is pretty cool.

Back
Top Bottom