Will Not Boot, No Beepcodes or anyhing.

barakandl

Beta member
Ok here is the deal. I come home from work and notice the clock on my LCD keyboard is stuck at 1:30. Nothing responds so i figure just a lock up. I reset it and nothing happens :O.

All the fans still spin up, both cpu fans, case fan, vid card fan. The cd drives get power and will open and close. I can here the hard drive spin up.

There is no beep code or any beeps for that matter when the computer is turned on. Monitor stays black and acts like it is getting no source signal.

Things i have tried. Moving memory sticks around, trying different video card. Unplugging all IDE and SCSI drives and just booting with vid card hooked up. Nothing no beeps when turned on :(.

If a hard drive is plugged in while i try and boot the hard disk light on the front of the case stays lit up. If there is no hard drive hooked up the light stays off.

The only sort of beepcode i can make the machine give me is when i do not hookup the extra power cord to the video card (did it on accident swaping hardware around trying to make it boot).

I am scared my MOBO just went bad.

Info on the machine.

It is an HP workstation xw8000. It has AGP video card, 3gig ram, 2 3ghz processors. SCSI boot drive, a few other IDE drives.

The only thing i had done hardware wise to the machine was a few days back i put it in a new dvd writer. I do not think this has anything to do with it tho. As removing it and booting with no drives still produces the same result.

I am looking for any other suggestions to try. Or if there is a mobo problem some way to diagnose it so i know that is the problem.

Please Help Me!!! :( :( I have had this box for less then a month. Sad Face

The only thing i can think of to try still is changing power supply.

No POST beep is a worry.

It may be that the new optical drive was the "straw that broke the camels back" psu wise, but if everything is spinning up it would seem unlikely.

I would reset the cmos and try a different monitor first, if that doesn't work then strip everything from the m/board and boot, you should get "no ram" beeps, if you do then insert the ram, you should get "no video" beeps, if you do insert the video card then connect the HDD and try to pass POST.

If you get no beeps it's not looking good for the m/board.

Try to reset CMOS by removing the battry, or try another POw supply, or try to unhook some components. If that doesn't work, you have a dead mobo.

I was unable to try a new psu today because the other 2 psu's i have seam to lacking an extra 6pin power cable that the box i am having trouble with has. I will be able to get a power supply that works with my motherboard to try on thursday night. I would try and re seat the cpu's but in this machine the cpus and heatsink/fans are attatched in a different way then i have ever seen before. Has screws with springs on them it looks like and i do not feel confident messing with it.

I did take all the ram and video card out to see if i could get a beep. Still no beeps at all.

The only beep it will make is when the extra power cord to the vid card isnt plugged in. Which probably comes from the video card and not the mobo ?

Back
Top Bottom