problem with Itunes (mom's PC)

Stonyman65

Baseband Member
Okay frist off, my mom has an old PC, a custom build with a Pentium 4 (2.5Ghz), 128MB ATI Radeon 9250, about a little under a gig of PC2700 RAM, AGPx8 mobo, 400w PSU...

she has major problems with itunes. when she tries to play the songs quickly after another or importing CDs, sometimes her system freezes and she has to reboot for it to work. other than that, she can not even multitask with itunes open it's just too slow.

I recomend to her to just get her system upgraded but she doesn't want to spend the cash for the parts. I know her system is very outdated and is probobly filled with crap.. Talked to the guys at my local shop and they said the smartest (and cheapest) way to improve preformance is t just reinstall the OS... I think this might work but I have a feeling that it's just a matter of time until she needs to do someting else.

any thoughts?

How many programs do you have running in the background. Even on those specs, Itunes shouldn't keep you from multi-tasking.

If the computer hasn't just been through a re-install, there is more running than that. Is it possible for you to take a screen shot of all the processes listed in task manager so we can see what all is running?

yeah, I have some stuff to do tomorow but I think i can get it done.

after we rebuilt it, the only things I had startup on boot was Mcafee security center and Spybot Teatimer. Now, what has been added since then I have no idea but it can be so much that Itunes won't run smoothly.... i'll see what I can do - should have the pic tomorow or tuesday at the latest.

run the disk clean up and defragmenter, i have close to the same system running on my bros comp, redoing to OS will help a lot. like when i had it i had 60gb worth of stuff on an 80gb and it was running so many things, but when i reformatted it for his use it ran so much faster

Whoa! she had alot more processes than I thought... half of them are Mcafee! damn system hog.

pics:

tm1.jpg

tm2.jpg

Might be a little hard too see but most of them are from Mcafee security...

Im gonna get her to re load her OS ASAP!

Nothing strikes me as out of the ordinary.

The only think that I know off hand that you can get rid of, are the two google things.

You can disable them from starting up in MSCONFIG.

I'll do more searching on some of the ones I don't recognize later.

I'd say just do an OS reinstall. It's the easiest way to fix most software problems if you can't figure out any other way. Plus, if it hasn't been reinstalled before and it's been a couple years, it's due for a fresh OS anyway.

Back
Top Bottom