xbox360 question

ummm
i have another option
if you have an old laptop that has a wireless network adapter
and a desktop, that doesn't have a wireless card
and an extra router sitting around that house
then i have another way to accomplish the task at hand
and i happen to have a P.O.S. laptop* (900 something MHz on the processor)
* I call it a small desktop because the battery no longer works
an extra router (mine happens to be a wireless-G)
and a desktop that doesn't have a wireless card
so what i did was made a LAN and told the laptop to allow every thing on the LAN to access the Internet through it
then i got a eureka moment and added the router in between the laptop and the desktop (the real desktop)
then i just ran a Ethernet cable over to my 360 and got a LIVE card
then i just told the laptop (mini desktop) to turn on a blank screen saver with password protection
that way no one uses it and bogs it down
thus bogging down my entire LAN
and voila!
i have a LAN that is based off of a wireless network from the other side of my house
its ~ 60ft long
so you should have no problem
i just happened to have all of the necessary equipment sitting around the house
and decided to give it a shot

ummm
i have another option
if you have an old laptop that has a wireless network adapter
and a desktop, that doesn't have a wireless card
and an extra router sitting around that house
then i have another way to accomplish the task at hand
and i happen to have a P.O.S. laptop* (900 something MHz on the processor)
* I call it a small desktop because the battery no longer works
an extra router (mine happens to be a wireless-G)
and a desktop that doesn't have a wireless card
so what i did was made a LAN and told the laptop to allow every thing on the LAN to access the Internet through it
then i got a eureka moment and added the router in between the laptop and the desktop (the real desktop)
then i just ran a Ethernet cable over to my 360 and got a LIVE card
then i just told the laptop (mini desktop) to turn on a blank screen saver with password protection
that way no one uses it and bogs it down
thus bogging down my entire LAN
and voila!
i have a LAN that is based off of a wireless network from the other side of my house
its ~ 60ft long
so you should have no problem
i just happened to have all of the necessary equipment sitting around the house
and decided to give it a shot

That sounds cool. But the laptop would have to remain on for the connection right?

Wow everyone is giving some complicated answers. This is the most simple and effective for live. I use this in my setup. I use a wireless router and set up my modem in my room. I connect to my 360 using a simple cat5 cable through the router (like a 2 foot cable) then connect all my computers and laptops wirelessly because wireless adaptors for the computers are alot cheaper than the 360 wireless adaptor.

Wow everyone is giving some complicated answers. This is the most simple and effective for live. I use this in my setup. I use a wireless router and set up my modem in my room. I connect to my 360 using a simple cat5 cable through the router (like a 2 foot cable) then connect all my computers and laptops wirelessly because wireless adaptors for the computers are alot cheaper than the 360 wireless adaptor.

So you have to routers? 1 modem/router that is connected to the internet and main computer and then 1 router that picks up the wireless signal and connect to the xbox with an ethernet cable?

Thats what I thought lol. Just making sure.

sadly yes
now there is another way
if you have cable TV in your room
and have a BB provider
(I'm not 100% sure on this)
i think that you should be able to buy a cable box
and connect that to the router and have a BB LAN right there in your room
if someone knows the answer to this
i would like to know as well
also where could you buy one? newegg.com?
i haven't done a lot of research on this yet
but i figured why not start now?
and sorry for the hijack

No I have one wireless router. I have cable internet through my internet provider. The main modem for my internet is set up in my room. That then hooks into the WAN port of my wireless router that is sitting right beside the modem. I then use LAN slot 1 to connect a cat5e cable to my xbox 360 (so it is wired directly not wirelessly). I then have all other computers and laptops on my network connected wirelessly through the router. I do not use anything other than your typical set up. I just use the main line to my xbox 360 that way it saves money on a $120 wireless adaptor that I no longer need because of this set up.

ok quick question. If he does run through another computer and not a router, wouldn't he have to use a crossover cable as opposed to a normal cat5e cable? I've heard both scenaros where people have been able to use both types and it will work, but I know from experience that with the original xbox you could only use a crossover cable if you were connecting through another computer and using ICS or bridging.

Back
Top Bottom