"Crysis" on my newly built computer

GhostGT

Daemon Poster
Hey all, first post here.

My Sony Vaio desktop computer died on me a few weeks ago and forced me to purchase a new computer. I went ahead and built my own, costing me about $15-600 in all for a pretty kickass machine.

Important Specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz
Corsair 450W Power supply
ASUS P5K-E LGA775 Intel P35 ATX motherboard
Raptor 150GB 10,000rpm HD
WD 500gb secondary HD
Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual channel kit RAM
Vista Ultimate (32b)
EVGA 640-P2-N829-AR GeForce 8800GTS SSC 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI-ex16 Video card

Overall, its been an awesome experience with only a few problems here and there (nothing a few patches didn't fix ;))

I don't do MUCH gaming, but when I play, I want it to be smooth and perfect at the max settings. I tried World of Warcraft maxed out and it is awesome.

How about Crysis? Hm...

Just got the game and installed it... on 1920x1200 (on my 24" monitor) the "Very High" setting lags a lot in-game...its not very smooth at all. In "High" its much better, but still not PERFECT like Warcraft is on all highest settings. medium is fine but the graphics really suck on that setting.

Am I missing something here? I thought my computer would be able to perfectly handle the highest settings on current games. Any and all feedback will be great. I look forward to seeing what you say!

Chris

Crysis is graphics hungry. I have a 8800 GTS 640MB on mine, and I have it overclocked with RivaTuner and have the game on High settings, about 25-27fps consistant. Runs great for me on High with a res at 1680x1050.

You can try overclocking a bit with RivaTuner to see if you can get better fps. You have a higher res then me and that's going to take away some fps. I would overclock and see how it runs, and if that doesn't do it, use the overclock, and bring some of the settings that's not to important to medium.

There is a sticky on this page that can help you overclock your video card

Give up trying to max crysis, espescially at that ridiculous resolution.
It's not going to happen.

Your hardware is great, and most games will work fantastic. But crysis's performance, is, well.. a crysis to say the least.

I just measured the framerates in-game:

Very High- 9-9 FPS :confused: :confused: :confused:
High- 13-16 FPS
Medium- 24-32 FPS
Low- 60 FPS

TBH buying that 8800GTS was a bad choice. About a month ago the new 8800GTS came out. It uses the new G92 chip and has 512MB of memory. It is a lot faster and cheaper than the old 320/640MB GTS.

TBH buying that 8800GTS was a bad choice. About a month ago the new 8800GTS came out. It uses the new G92 chip and has 512MB of memory. It is a lot faster and cheaper than the old 320/640MB GTS.

Can you link me to the new one perhaps?

And if I had the option of returning this card and getting the new one, should I? Is it a big difference?

If it's still possible then I think you should return it. it's about 10FPS - 20FPS faster than the old GTS. It will make a big difference when playing Crysis. I'll link you to one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127323 Or this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130318 Is still quite a bit faster than your card and is a lot cheaper than the GTS for not much of a performance difference. If you can return your 640 GTS then I would recommend getting the 8800GT by EVGA. EVGA is a very good brand and their step-up program is very useful. It allows you to return a card you bought off them whenever you want and pay the difference for a new one. A much cheaper way to upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom