AMD athlon 64 X2 questions

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
so im thinking of getting a new processor, and i wanted the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition, i saw it on microcenter.com and my local microcenter store, and it said $99.99. but that was a couple days ago, i went back to my local microcenter store and asked how much the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ black edition cost, and they said it was $123.99, i had about $120 with me ready too buy, but i didnt have enought, later on i went back home and checked microcenter.com and it too said it was $123.99, so i got a little depressed sine i wanted a new processor to enable dual channel. while i was at the store today, there was a sticker on the box that had the price of $129.99, but there was a sheet of paper in front of the glass cabinet that said that the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ was $99.99, but didnt say if it was the black edition or not, every other processor price was up to date. On newegg its $99.99, and it seems like that every AMD processor was the same price as microcenter, except for the 5000+ Black edition.
so my question is, was there an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ that was not a black edition? or maybe it got discontinued after the black edition was released?
thanks in Advance.

Yes there is a normal 5000+ X2 that is less expensive than the black edition, but I assume you want the unlocked multiplier?

yea, seems like a good thing to have, but somehow i never saw a regular 5000+ at microcenter before.
another question, i got a athlon 64 X2 4400+ right now, and when i buy the 5000+ black edition, will the stock heatsink from the 4400+ work on the 5000+ black edition?

Yeah, I think you will be fine with the heatsink/fan. They both are socket AM2 and are 65w. Although, if temps get too high, your gonna have to get an aftermarket cooler.

If you're going to get a black edition X2 then it's for overclocking purposes so you'll be better off with an aftermarket cooler. I recommend the OCZ Vendetta or the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 PRO.

Yes, if anything, the 5000+ Black Edition, is a MUST! I want to get the other one, which is the 6400+, if my board doesn't like the Phenom CPUs.

Personally, save a wee bit more and you'll buy it. And if you're not sure for pricing, ask. They'll tell you, and someone might be nice and let it to you at 100 if it was indicated wrong.

Back
Top Bottom