To start I'll put up the specs of my first computer build:
Motherboard: Asus P5W DH Delux
Processor: Intel E6600 @2400 MHz
Ram: 2 Gigs
Video: Nvidia GeForce 7950 GT
Hard Drive: 320 Gig and External 400 Gig
Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi
Case: Cooler Master Cavalier 3

I built this computer over a year ago and I'm running XP on it. Over time it seems like it has just been getting slower and slower. So here are my questions:
1. What should I do to make XP run faster? I have read the other threads on here about speeding up XP but I was wondering if it would run faster if I just completely wiped out everything and started over again. I have a external hard drive so I could save and games files that I want to keep. I also have a laptop in case I screw up somewhere. Would this be the best thing to do?

2. Also I want to start learning some Linux, maby Ubuntu. Should I buy a second hard drive for that? Only reason I ask is that I have a HUGE media library on my computer with music and movies and I want everything to run as fast as possible, hence the possible need for a second hard drive?

3. I'm very new to computer, should I consider over clocking at all?

Wow that was alot of stuff but thanks for any help and comments.

what i would do is reinstall WinXP. then after that run a disk defrag. and it should be almost as fast as new.

and u could definitely consider OCing
what kinda cooling u on? stock Heatsink fan?

for cooling I was running the stock one for about a year but this christmas I got a artic cooler cpu cooler. It took me awhile to get the huge thing in but I finally got it. When I started everything up, it gave me a cpu fan error on startup. I shut it off and made sure everything was hooked up and secure but it keeps giving me the error. The system seems to be running fine, not too hot I think though. PC Wizard 2008 (don't know how accurate) tells me Processor Temp is 38.5 with Core 1 at 54 and Core 2 at 55. Is that normal?

so u did get it in and no errors? and the temps sounds about right. but after market cooler temps will vary more then stock. do u still have the asus cd?? if so pop it in and see if it has PC Probe II.

and if u do diside to do a fresh intall of windows. then id recomend get hijackthis. and get a list of ur programs. so then u know exactley what u have installed. its great.

yeah i just realized that I have pc probe II, i started it up and it gave me a few errors unfortunately: MB temp is 47; CPU fan is 888 RPM; and Power 2 fan (?) is 3026 RPM. what should I do for these errors?

wow dude. um ok well it will probably give u some errors. if u have open cpu fan connectors. but ur CPU fan is at 888 RPM thats reall really low. my fan speed is usually idled around 2500 RPM. can u give me a link to ur CPU cooler on newegg or something

and ur temp is pretty high. im guessing thats idled unless ur were just playing a game or something

specs " RPM 900 - 2500 RPM(PWM) " and ur in the 800's. so somethings wrong here. id recomend getting some arctic silver 5 and put on ur stock heatsink. cuz somethings wrong with ur current heatsink/fan

yeah i'll run down to tiger and get some... will that boost up my MB temp? also... what could be making the cpu fan's rpms that slow?

about the ASUS Q-Fan... I haven't put it on silent mode but... I haven't changed any of the settings before. Where would I go to check that out?

Back
Top Bottom