Two computers on 1 monitor?

I was just curious if this should be alright to do? I don't want to actually run 2 computers at the same time on the same monitor. What I want to do is leave the DVI input hooked up to my good computer then hook my download stuff computer up via VGA. I wasn't sure if it would cause any problems. Obviously I'll shutdown one before I turn the other on.

I'll be running a seperate mouse/keyboard I just don't feel like unplugging one of my monitors just to use the other computer and lose a monitor on my main system without re hooking everything back up. I should have never got rid of the 19" it came with. Its quite compared to the new computer so I want to download off it when I'm sleeping and at work rather than leaving my good computer on all the time.

Yeah, I used a switch on the monitor to plug my 360 into VGA, so I could be playing a game on that, while surfing the web on this. Worked really well :)

Yeah, I used a switch on the monitor to plug my 360 into VGA, so I could be playing a game on that, while surfing the web on this. Worked really well :)

I have my Wii, PS3, and Comp all plugged into the same monitor, and it works great :D

My monitor also does PIP..so I can be playing PS3 will watching a video xD

Yeah that will work fine. Your other option would be to get a decent KVM switch, and then you can share one keyboard, mouse and monitor with both computers.

I agree with Raffaz.....

Get a KVM switch.............works great and no swapping cables, etc. Simple hot key switches keyboard/mouse/monitor from one PC to the other.
I have one setup on my desktop and a docking station for my laptop. When I have some serious work to do on the laptop I dock it and switch it over via the KVM switch to use the main monitor/keyboard/mouse.
Works great!

Thanks for the advice. I really don't think I'll need a KVM switch though. But I appreciate the input there maybe a future option. I've already got 2 sets of everything so thats not a big deal I just want it for downloading at night lol.

But ya if I was going to be doing more between the 2 than just downloading I'd probally go with your KVM switch idea!

You can switch between connections on your monitor while both systems are on, or at least i can on my Acer AL1916W. I was fixing my parents system and wanted to do stuff on mine at the same time, so I just hooked it up like that. The only problem is you have to go through the menu to do it instead of 1 button. I would personally buy a KVM switch because I would only want 1 mouse and keyboard.

Back
Top Bottom