PC won't boot after 5 weeks no use

Lowndsey

Site Team
Staff member
I am trying to fix a friends pc. It's a few years old. She turned it off while she went away for 5 weeks holidays .. and came back and tried to turn it on and it gives 1 long beep and 2 short beeps. I unplugged everything and reseated it. Still same thing. I now have everything unplugged except ram and graphics card as it is a Gigabyte mobo and has no onboard graphics.I can get it to come on a give the normal 1 beep ..the monitor light powers up but nothing comes on the display...no bios just stays black. I have tried 2 gpu cards and same thing happens with both. tried swapping over memory sticks and Power supply. Google searches on bios error beeps suggest GPU failure but neither card works. I am just about out of ideas..Could it be the AGP slot ?..She left it plugged into the wall but turned off and the phone line into modem...there have been a lot of storms last few weeks maybe it has fried something?..Any ideas?

mobo is a Gigabyte GA-8ST667

Plugged into the wall? as in, the system wasn't plugged into a surge protector?
If thats the case, then that may be it. I can't imagine why a system would just stop working after being left alone for only 5 weeks..

hmmm not sure if she uses a surge protector or not....she's female so I am guessing not

Thought i would try reseating the cpu...undid the heatsink clips and lifted and the cpu came out with it...that cant be good surely.

yeah tried that. I have got it to the stage now where it turns on..everything seems to power up...fans spin...harddrive makes a power up noise..just 1 regular beep...power light on monitor fires up...then nothing comes up on the screen. I am at a loss now

I wonder if you can reset the BIOS by changing the jumpers around, Ive never dome it myself as I never needed to but it is possible I believe you will need to consult the MB manual for that.

Well it is fixed now...happy it is fixed...unhappy i have wasted a few hours...
After I gutted the pc blew it out with the air compressor and replugged everything back in and turned it on the beeps ceased and everything sounded like a normal bootup. Only prob being no picture showing on the monitor...TURNS OUT IT WAS MY FRIGGEN MONITOR. Yep I was using my old LCD monitor which has always worked fine up until now. Was just about to quit and thought i would plug my 22" monitor in ..plugged it in and up popped the desktop. So the original problem seems to have been dust or a loose component. A bittersweet victory.......

Don't sweat it man. First PC I built? I forgot to plug in the 4-pin motherboard plug. My dad teases me about it to this day whenever I build a system, lol

I've forgotten to plug in the systems so many times before. I try everything I can think of to get it to work until I look on the back of the PC and the power cord isn't connected... :p I'm pretty sure I've done worse than that too. Just about the chuck the system through the wall and I find 1 thing I forgot to do...

Back
Top Bottom