Linux = Wow

mayorredbeard

Daemon Poster
So I created an Ubunut Linux live cd for some file recovery on an older system. After trying it out, all I have to say is wow.

What started off as just a way to bypass username passwords to recover an important file has led to me switching to linux. I've read about various distros and what not, but never actually tried them. The ease of use is amazing in ubuntu.

After using it I find myself saying, "Wow I never knew an OS could be this simple". I was instantaneously able to find anything I wanted. Applications? A tab for that at the top; along with plenty of free software for whatever you could possibly want to do.

System preferences and tools are all grouped together and make monitoring my system extremely easy. The learning curve was 0. No time 'figuring out' the OS. Now just time to see what applications work with it before I format my windows partition.

I encourage you all to try the Ubunutu Live CD. A great way to try linux without having to do anything really.

well im not 100% on linux as a primary OS i do think its a must have to have a ubuntu live cd hanging about

AHaha yes. Ubuntu is pretty sweet. Unfortunately, with the release of Gutsy Gibbon (7.10) I was never able to boot it. It would fail to load after installation. It was a real kill-joy.

I may try it again on an older PC.

AHaha yes. Ubuntu is pretty sweet. Unfortunately, with the release of Gutsy Gibbon (7.10) I was never able to boot it. It would fail to load after installation. It was a real kill-joy.

You should try to get version 7.04. That is the version just before 7.10. Create a live cd from that version and see if it will install and boot up. Then all you have to do in update and install the new version through that.

Yeah its good, unless you wanna game.

There are a couple of distros that are geared more for gaming then others. For instance there is Gentoo. Also there are programs that you can download such as wine and crossover(which is free for 30 days, but then cost a couple of bucks for a one time fee). Wine is a Windows emulator, while Crossover is similar to an emulator, but changes some of the files so that it will run under linux.

Cheers!

linux is ok...I dont rave about it..it's ok if you don't play games..until you try to install programs that need dependencies and all that shit. Sometimes the time and trouble it takes just to install a program is not worth the hassle for me.People say it is more secure but i disagree if you know what you are doing. I havent had a virus on windows for years and years.

Yeah I tried it but ended up wiping it because my desktop is wireless. Go figure.
Figure out how to install drivers for my onboard wireless and get back to me on that one. LOL

D-Lew what type of computer do you have? That way I can figure out how to make the onboard wireless work.

Back
Top Bottom