I love doing little projects!

My little project:
Install Windows 95 on a P4 machine. Didn't go so well. lol
After that I got Windows 98 SE. Installer said Win95 was still on there (after I thought I had formatted it successfully) so I needed an upgrade disk. Not wanting to download another disk, I proceeded to wipe the system clean. Took me forever cause I know jack about using command prompts. So I ended up using my brother's bootdisk to use freedos and format /u the C drive (took me forever to figure out you need the /u). THEN I got Win98SE installed and it came up with all these errors on boot. It tried to find drivers and stuff on what I thought was the CD, but actually it pulled up a Windows directory already in the C drive and I didn't notice, so I just skipped everything. Good job, Windows.

After that, I thought I would use my iPod to move files over to it. Nope. Chipset drivers weren't installed and I have no internet (LAN drivers) and don't have the driver disk because I just found this computer outside.

After trying to burn the driver files and various other things I wanted to move 3 times and getting coasters, I decided to move everything to my brother's PC and burn a 100MB DVD. Well finally, that worked. I got my chipset drivers and everything else. The drivers removed the error messages after POST (Which coincidentally takes 3 minutes. Good job, Gateway.). So here I am now. I got MAME running, and I'm installing my frontend to boot into. After that, I need a TV, probably some new hardware (CPU and GPU) and I need to build a cabinet and controls to mount to it.

The end.

You might want to start with Mame32, it has a GUI built in and is very easy. A more advanced version is just regular MAME, which works from a command prompt and can use other frontends.

MAME - http://mamedev.org/
MAME32 - http://mame32.classicgaming.gamespy.com/

A little off topic, what exactly does CPU power actually do?
I forgot to hook it up earlier and the machine ran fine as far as I could tell.

Well on more up to date machines the computer won't boot when its not plugged it.

Haha sweet.

Hey I have another question, is it OK to put a jumper over the power pins on the mobo so I can use a remote power switch to turn on the computer?

That's the theory I guess.
If that's right I guess as long as the system doesn't mess up and try to do a power-off it's technically OK but that's what I'm wondering about.

Back
Top Bottom