Pentium 4 not willing to Overclock!

Adventure Man

Solid State Member
Hi guys, I have a Biostar P4M900-M4 Socket 478 Motherboard, a pentium 4 3.4 ghz 1MB Prescott cpu and 3 gigs of Gskill DDR2-667 ram (a 2gb piece and a 1 gb piece filling in both slots on the mobo with a frequency of 333 mhz).

My problem is that when I try to overclock my cpu I get no change in speed even though I change the cpu bus speed. This cpu has a multiplier of 17 with a bus speed of 200 mhz, I tried to change the 200 to upwards of 220 and have seen no change whatsoever in the cpu speed. CPU-Z even reports that there is no change in the bus speed either, that it's still 200! I've made the bus speed change in the bios AND with biostar's windows application for overclocking "WarpSpeeder". Both with the same dismal result.

Am I doing something wrong here? Are my cpu/fsb speeds locked? My cpu idles at 32 celsius and I feel that I could get at least a 200 mhz overclock.
Any advice?
Thank you,
A.M.

CPU chip is lock at the hardware level. You have to be careful when buying any cpu chip that it's not a locked version. Locked versions are cheaper though.

Back
Top Bottom