Hard Drive Constantly Seeking

Well this is to the point where it is driving me nuts. I have no idea what is causing the hard drive to seek so often. In the processes tab of the task manager svchost.exe is usually using the most memory.

I just disabled every single startup program and it did not do a thing. There is still something running in Windows that is causing the hard drive to seek constantly, but I have no idea what it is.

If it is driving you nuts reformat you drive and reinstall windows it the only true way to get rid of it, you could try a system restore back say 6weeks, when Nod32 found the virus did you reboot your computer and run it again?, the Virus may have copied itself into another file and is constantly executing itself, It does sound like a Virus to me, IF it was me id just reformat and start again.

Oh for crying out loud. It's doing its normal housekeeping chores on the system and writting all of it to logs. When you the user are not banging away on the system and it's been idle for X amount of time the XP OS takes advantage of the idle time to do background chores.
Don't format your system. It will do the same thing again. You can turn off the event logs and that will stop some of it but it's not a real smart thing to do. My P4 looks like a disco light when it's busy at night. But after a while when it's all done it spins down the drive and stops.
Oh and if it is a bug or nastie, when not online go in the network settings and disable the network device.

Oh for crying out loud. It's doing its normal housekeeping chores on the system and writting all of it to logs. When you the user are not banging away on the system and it's been idle for X amount of time the XP OS takes advantage of the idle time to do background chores.
Don't format your system. It will do the same thing again. You can turn off the event logs and that will stop some of it but it's not a real smart thing to do. My P4 looks like a disco light when it's busy at night. But after a while when it's all done it spins down the drive and stops.
Oh and if it is a bug or nastie, when not online go in the network settings and disable the network device.

Il take your word for it, I leave my computer on for hours and have never known that happen once let alone all the time, it would drive me crackers.
This must be a disc clean up utility set to run on a time then? I have installed XP lots of times and never had to activate or disable it in this case.
You will find it here I think. Go to Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\Scheduled Tasks or go to Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\Maintenance Wizard

I still haven't solved the problem. I know that Windows is doing stuff when I'm not using the computer, but it seems like the hard drive is constantly working. I disabled every startup program and service which didn't fix it, but I did realize something. I use ZoneAlarm Firewall and ZoneAlarm does not let you disable the True Vector Internet Monitor Service(vsmon.exe). Do you think that vsmon.exe could be causing the hard drive activity?

I ran HijackThis and none of the entries could be causing the problem. The only ones I wasn't sure about were these:
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)

Should these be fixed?

we have a record . quadrouple post .lol
run registry mechanic and see if that fixes up some missing files

Back
Top Bottom