Building a computer for the first time and need advice

Well I can't really say because I don't have that mobo, but always read up on customer reviews! BTW, what do you plan on doing with this machine and how much are you planning on spending? My mobo is $114 on newegg and it's "The Best Price Performance Ratio" motherboard. It will also support that cpu you have listed. mobo

Ok i think i will look into getting a nicer mobo, what kind is yours? Also, the only thing ill be doing with this computer is school work, maybe some music, instant messaging, browsing the web mostly, and your occasion game, but nothing like WoW just like online games and maybe like 1 or 2 games like deer hunter or something. The reason i want a dual core processor is because i like to multi task so i thought it would help speed up the stuff i do.

the mobo in that post of mine is a link to mine :)
Even though you won't be doing any hardcore gaming I suggest still going with a better motherboard for the reasons I already mentioned and the onboard sound will be adequate for your needs. I would go with an Intel Core 2 Duo over AMD, but that's just my opinion. The AMD processor that kostonbleeds suggested is better and cheaper than the Intel you want.

CPU Chart

the mobo in that post of mine is a link to mine :)
Even though you won't be doing any hardcore gaming I suggest still going with a better motherboard for the reasons I already mentioned and the onboard sound will be adequate for your needs. I would go with an Intel Core 2 Duo over AMD, but that's just my opinion. Can someone get some AMD/Intel chart comparisons in here?

Yeah, i always was told Intel over AMD but i really don't have a lot of knowledge on the two, so I'm not sure.

EDIT: That link you posted just brought me to a picture of something saying toms hardware lol.

when you scroll over the image your cursor turns into a magnifying glass with a plus in it. that means you can magnify the image. I suggest doing that.

when you scroll over the image your cursor turns into a magnifying glass with a plus in it. that means you can magnify the image. I suggest doing that.

Didn't work..maybe because I'm using Firefox? Probably not.. I don't know...

You can select 2 different processor and compare them with that chart. The lower the number the better or the higher the number is better. check the bottom of the chart to tell for each test.

That looks like a good set up but i have a few questions.
How come an amd dual core and not an intel dual core?
Is 2gb of ram enough?
Is the 160gb HD enough?
Does that disc drive do DVDs and CDs?

p.s. that case looks really cool :D

i just like amd over intel because amd is usually cheaper for a comparable product. 2gb of ram is plenty, especially for what you will be doing. 160gb hdd all depends on how much music and movies you'll want plus you can also add a bigger one down the road if you want. and yes that drive does do both.

here's my amd and an intel of comparable ghz
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=936&model2=878&chart=419
now the intel obviously beats it but there is also a 150 dollar difference in it

now heres the cpu i told you to get with the same cpu as the last and the amd is still 100 dollars cheaper
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=933&model2=878&chart=419

by going amd your getting a greater bang for your buck basicly.. but if you have the top dollar and wish to spend lot more for not that much more just to have the best, you have that option.

Back
Top Bottom