Game Lag (FPS)

xxc00lmanxx

In Runtime
Hello,

I think there is something wrong with my computer, not sure what it is so im here to ask.. when ever i join any game.. CS:S, COD4, anything.. im fine for the first 5 min and after that my FPS drops down to about 10-20 for about 3 min... then goes back to 100 and it keeps doing that, the FPS stays low longer each time. its gets really lagggy and its pissing me of.. i had this problem befor but the FPS stayed at 20(didn't go up and down).. so i downgraded my video driver.. about 4 upgrade cuz the ones above the driver i used still lagged. Now i don't know if its my video card. my ram. or CPU

OH and please do not tell me to lower my in game video settings i tried that, it didn't even help abit(i put everything to lowest on counter strike, witch needs like nothing to run.

My Computer:
Windows XP pro
Intel Pentium 4 3.40Ghz HT
Kingston DDR2 PC-5300 1024Mb Ram
x1650 ATi sapphire radion, 512Mb

I made this computer from parts. not a store computer

Please help
Thanks,
Seb :D

Yes you have a P4 and those things run HOT, it is most definitely Intel's thermal throttling kicking in (when the processor gets to hot, it is slowed down considerably to limit permanent damage). Download PC Wizard 2008 and use it to check your component temperatures then report back.

Thanks,

My CPU is running at about 40-45°C (i don't know what this is in Fahrenheit)

EDIT: thats with notthing running just firefox

Therefore I imagine it would idle at about 60c, which is borderline. Does anyone know at what exact temperature thermal throttling kicks in? What about your graphics card temps?

I'm pretty sure it kicks in about 75 or so. Run one of your games, and as soon as it starts to get laggy, alt tab to one of the temperature monitoring programs, have it running in the background. See what you get for a temp. 60 on idle seems high. is that 3.4 ghz an OCd P4?

i have a 120mm fan in the back thats all.. my temp goes to 56-63 while im playing... i put a big fan right beside my computer while its open and it still lags

Back
Top Bottom