Why are ram prices dropping?

yexusbeliever1

Baseband Member
Is there any significant reason why DDR2 ram prices are dropping lately? Is it because of DDR3 trying to come out as standard for home computers?

It'll probably be a while before we see DDR3 yet properly, but I do believe they are dropping in price because more manufacturers are going for DDR3 production.

Usual cycle, new product replaces main stream product, main stream product becomes "old tech" and reduces in value. There have been reductions in manufacturing costs as well which helps reduce end prices.

The actual production cost of a piece of computer hardware is much cheaper then what you pay for it. You pay for the 'time', (research, design, development), put into creating the piece of hardware. So overtime as the design becomes obsolete, they can significantly lower the prices of it and still make a profit.

For example a processor that cost you $300+ probably doesn't cost even $100 for the manufacturing and assembly of the materials inside of it. Meaning overtime the manufacturer can significantly lower the cost and still make a profit.

So when it comes to building a new computer, shall I await for DDR3 or shall I just build one with DDR2 1066?

DDR2 is still the best choice IMO. And you should be fine with some DDR2 800MHz RAM that is designed of OC'ing.

They are manufactured differently from what I have heard. It is harder to make them I think, but it might be because there is a much smaller demand for them.

Back
Top Bottom