achieve your broadband providers top speeds

jo5h

Daemon Poster
I found this quite interesting. I was at pcpitstop and did a full scan and it told me If you are running Windows XP or prior, your operating system is not optimized for broadband internet access. So im thinking wtf? And these were the benefits, Once you do, the performance improvements are enormous, particularly in downloading large files such as video and audio streams. All large web pages will appear faster.

Here is how its done

1. Launch window registry editor by clicking on Start | Run .
2. Click in the Open dropdown box and type in regedit.exe then click OK .
3. Back up your registry by selecting File | Export type in a meaningful file name, in the export range section select All and save to your hard drive. To restore your old registry you simply import this file.
4. Next you need to create a new registry key. On the left side you need to go to the directory HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
5. Select Edit | New | DWORD Value .
6. Rename the new registry key to TcpWindowSize.
7. Modify the registry setting for TcpWindowSize by double clicking on the key.
8. Change the Base Setting to Decimal.
9. Enter the value 64240 and click OK, then exit RegEdit.
10. For these settings to take effect you need to close all your open applications and reboot your system.

I have done this and my loading times are a lot faster, haven't tried it w/ audio files yet.

Heres what the technical definition was.
Technical Explanation
Windows uses the receive buffer to temporarily store packets it receives from the Internet. Its size can be configured via a registry setting. Different Windows versions use different default sizes for this parameter. The faster your connection and the higher your connection's latency, the bigger the receive buffer needs to be. Dial-up modem users generally do not benefit from adjusting this buffer size.

Ive just done what you said, and shall monitor how my downloads and web pages go to See if it does make a difference, I really hope it does.

I found this quite interesting. I was at pcpitstop and did a full scan and it told me If you are running Windows XP or prior, your operating system is not optimized for broadband internet access. So im thinking wtf? And these were the benefits, Once you do, the performance improvements are enormous, particularly in downloading large files such as video and audio streams. All large web pages will appear faster.

Here is how its done

1. Launch window registry editor by clicking on Start | Run .
2. Click in the Open dropdown box and type in regedit.exe then click OK .
3. Back up your registry by selecting File | Export type in a meaningful file name, in the export range section select All and save to your hard drive. To restore your old registry you simply import this file.
4. Next you need to create a new registry key. On the left side you need to go to the directory HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
5. Select Edit | New | DWORD Value .
6. Rename the new registry key to TcpWindowSize.
7. Modify the registry setting for TcpWindowSize by double clicking on the key.
8. Change the Base Setting to Decimal.
9. Enter the value 64240 and click OK, then exit RegEdit.
10. For these settings to take effect you need to close all your open applications and reboot your system.

I have done this and my loading times are a lot faster, haven't tried it w/ audio files yet.

Heres what the technical definition was.
Technical Explanation
Windows uses the receive buffer to temporarily store packets it receives from the Internet. Its size can be configured via a registry setting. Different Windows versions use different default sizes for this parameter. The faster your connection and the higher your connection's latency, the bigger the receive buffer needs to be. Dial-up modem users generally do not benefit from adjusting this buffer size.

umm thanks you just killed my speedtest by about 100 kb lmao,

only joikin speed test seems about the same and i dont really have trouble on streaming video or n e thing since i have 8 mb but hey thanks n e way

Yeah it seems if you already have a higher end speed you wont notice much of a difference.

Another thing that pcpitstop told was limiting my cache settings in IE, but i use firefox so i changed it there. But since IE is terrible I googled " disable IE" since i never use it and I don't want any spam still being able to go through it so this is what i told me

Step 1. From IE select Tools/Internet Options/Connections/LAN Settings.

Step 2. Put a tick in the check box next to "Use a Proxy Server for your LAN ...”

Step 3. Type in "0.0.0.0" in the address box and "80" in the Port box. Don't type in the quote marks of course, just what's inside them.

Step 4. Click OK.

Works like a charm and
easy to reverse and doesn't interfere with the operation of the Windows Update service.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/how_to_disable_internet_explorer.htm

Back
Top Bottom