motherboard fryed? or cpu?

Fanatic4Christ

Daemon Poster
okay well my computer just completely stoped working, im thinkning its the motherboard because theres a little part on the motherboard that the sauder's melted. the cpu got thermal paste on the pins, and ive tryed to run the power supply on another mobo and processor and it worked so i know that it isent that. also the melted part on the motherboard is by the cpu socket, its a biostar m-6100gforce with a socket 939 4400+

yeah, ive always been overclocking but recently i upped the vcore +0.05 so im thinking that did it mabie, or the thermal paste could of done it 2, if its the mobo then i needa get a new one (rare ones sadly) but i smelled the cpu and it smelled normal not fryed but im not exactly sure =\

Do you get any response from the board whatsoever? Any beeps on POST to indicate failure, or do you just get the fans powering up and nothing else?

If it is the latter, I would assume the board to be dead. Possibly the overclocked components have failed. I am not sure I quite understand, you say that connecting a different power supply got the system completely working again? That is strange, sounds like some kind of power surge I would hazard a guess.

okay well when i take the cpu out the computer will turn on like only turn on but when i put the cpu in it will turn everything on for half a second then it'll shut off. everytime i try to take out the cpu the cpu comes out with the heatsink, the motherboard doesnt show nothing at all though, ive tryed to hook only the mobo up and taht dident work either just shut off as i powered it on.

okay well my computer just completely stoped working, im thinkning its the motherboard because theres a little part on the motherboard that the sauder's melted.
Solder, can you post a pic?
the cpu got thermal paste on the pins
What type of TIM? if it is electrically conductive there's a good chance both board and cpu are gone.

The only real way to test the cpu is another board, at the very least I'd say you're up for a new board, melted solder requires massive voltages or excessive heat, neither is good for a pc or pcb.

FYI arctic silver 5 conducts electricity, like most of them. in order to get a good heat transfer you use metals ;)

B450-2107-a.JPG

theres a pic of the motherboard and here's a pic of the spots that are melted (the red circled are the spots and the green parts are the ones that are good)
motherboard.jpg

Back
Top Bottom