random "freezing".....cant click or type

culexor

Daemon Poster
Since yesterday my computer has been acting funky. what happens is that my computer randomly "freezes" but it doesnt. my mouse still moves and when i hit ctrl+alt+del it opens. but i cant click and i cant navigate with the arrows on my keyboard. my applications still run fine but i cant do anything, i can tell that theyre running because my music still plays and i can still use the media buttons on my keyboard. i found out that it only does this when im playing music. i use winamp but i tried using itunes and the same thing happened. i also noticed that when i login, as its loading everything but before my desktop icons and taskbar load i get a little window that is blank and at the top it says "Personalized Settings" and its there for maybe 2 seconds (so from when i get to see me desktop background after logging in until it loads the icons) this hasnt ever happened before until it started doin this funky stuff. i did a virus scan on avast but it got messed up so im going to do it overnight because im going to do a thourough scan. any ideas?

i did a spybot scan and i got some things and i deleted them but nothing changed....heres a screen shot of the personalised settings
psettingsds2.jpg

maybe try using msconfig and see if there is anything related to personal settings in the starup menu, if so uncheck it and reboot see if the same things happens.

and how often does this happen??
and when it happens how long does it stay "Froze"??

i did that yesterday, nothing related to personalized startup but i disabled all of the ones that i didnt recognize (i looked them up too just to make sure).....my computer stays "frozen" indefinately...i just reboot. this happens however often i use my media player

next time open up the task manager and see if anything unrelated is running, also just end the process explorer.exe and then start up the task explorer.exe again, that will get rid of most freezes.

other than that im lost, really cant be something hardware related since you got pretty good system going.

maybe a F&R it (format and reload)

next question are you using XP or Vista

Try uninstallig the player (winamp) and see if it works with WMP if it does then you have a driver conflicting some where. reinstall winamp see if it works, also did you remove all the files of Itunes before you put winamp on?

i had winamp first, all the strange processes i looked up and are mostly windows things...im running XP pro. last night when i did an avast scan (again) it froze again, but i didnt have any music playing but i did watch a movie like 20 minutes previousley. i have a hunch that it might be some ASUS software that came with my mobo because some of it has been acting a bit fishy recently

i think i found the problem.....whenever i use the media buttons on my saitek eclipse ii it does that.....i cannot find any drivers online because it is plug and play (i guess) and there are no reports of this that i have found so im not 100% sure if that is the complete reason but thats definately part of it....any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom