Vista Update Problem

Szat

Daemon Poster
Hey guys,
A few days ago I tried to update Windows Vista. This is what happened to me. Post from a few days ago:

Hey guys,
A very annoying issue popped up last night just before I was going to go to bed, which caused me to stay up an extra hour to fix it the best I could. Windows (Vista Business 32-bit, legal copy) said I had 11 updates that were ready to be installed. 7 updates are from Microsoft for Vista, 3 are from Nvidia, and 1 is from Acer for my monitor. When I was ready to turn my system off I decided to install them. The system installed them and went to the "Windows is Configuring Your Settings" screen. This stayed there for longer than 30 minutes. It was at that point when I figured out my system must have froze, so I manually shut down my computer. I restarted the system at which point it told me it shut down incorrectly and asked how would I like to continue. I started it up normally. It took a while for it to boot and everything seemed pretty normal until I went to shut it off again and this time it get stuck on the "Shutting Down" screen. I manually restarted and switched into Windows in Safe Mode. Luckily, system restore saved a point for me an hour or so before this confusion happened. I used the restore point and the only noticeable difference I see is that it take slightly longer to boot up; shut down is fine. OK, I can live with that; but now AIM does not work for me and when I right click an icon on the taskbar and select an option the option will sometimes run and it stays on the screen on top of everything. Right now on the other side of this message box "Start avast! Antivirus" has been hanging there for about 20 minutes and it won't go away even if I refresh it. I have never had a problem updating Windows XP and this is the first time I have updated Vista since I built this PC last month. My mouse froze on me while I was doing my virus scan and I had to manually reboot again! Do you guys know how I can fix this problem of programs not working for no reason and objects just staying on top of everything? Also, I would like to download those updates eventually, because they're security fixes and updates for my motherboard; but I don't want this to happen again! Thanks for the help.

Now today I just downloaded and installed the updates for Vista and not the updates for my hardware components and still the same thing happened. Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem so in the future I'll be able to upgrade my system or is this Microsoft's problem? I liked Vista a lot until this problem occurred... Thanks for the help.

Would you be able to list off, or get a screen shot of the updates you installed?

The checked boxes are the updates I installed the second time around. The unchecked and checked ones are what I installed the first time. I never installed the windows defender update. None of these updates should be on my computer now, because I used system restore.

desktop.jpg

install the windows defender, it won't hurt ya.

Have you tried doing that option update from January of '07, or have you been leaving that out?

Sounds like one of the updates was in the middle and has gone corrpt. When I first installed loads of updates on my laptop they took hours to install when starting the pc, but it was fine afterwards and hasn't done it since.

Yes, the first and second time I tried to install the optional update from 1/2007. Should I go with McTrayn's suggestion and leave the system configuring screen on for hours?

Personally, I wouldn't have the patients for that. I would rather do one update at a time to see which one is doing it. When you find the one that's doing it, just hide the update.

Part of me is thinking that it could be the removal tool thing since you haven't done the definitions for Defender. Maybe it's reliant on that.

yeah, I didn't have the patience to wait hours either. I got impatient after 30min. I'll do them one at a time, but would you suggest installing updates for my hardware components through Vista. Vista has done it before for me without any problem. *EDIT* Just updated the optional ones from 1/2007 and it worked fine. moving on to the windows defender update. *EDIT 2* Just installed the security update. I was getting nervous that it wouldn't work because it stayed on "Shutting Down" for about 5 minutes. Also, it no longer displays any of the updates for my components for some reason. On to the next update.

*UPDATE* Ok, well I installed all the files now, even though after the last one it got stuck on "Shutting Down" and wouldn't restart in safe mode or normal; but I still got it to run back to my desktop eventually. My mouse was very laggy and I ended up having to do another manual restart, but since then everything seems fine. All the updates for Vista have been installed. The only thing I notice is my boot time is a bit longer now. Sorry for the double post!

Back
Top Bottom