Is my PSU enough power for SLIing 8800's?

Hey I was just curious if my current PSU should be able to handle another 8800GTS. I was looking at prices and the old 320mb cards are pretty cheap so i'm thinking of buying another one just to pick up some fps since i'm gaming at higher resolutions now. Here is my current PSU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152026

I was reading some reviews and there are a few people saying there running SLI 8800's on it but I kind of want to make sure it should be alright. Besides whats in my sig i'm running 2 DVD-rw drives and 2 80mm case fans plus the intake and exhaust fans.

I know the specs say 1 PCI-E connector but the connector actually has 2 six pin connectors split on one cable. So I should just be able to plug the second connector in the second card right?

I'm just thinking this is a better route than buying a new G92 series since the performance vs price difference would end up being higher. Plus I really want to fill that empty slot ;)

Well the amperage is more important and that has 34A on the 12V rail so I'd say you're good to go.

Ugh, Raidmax?

You don't want a split cable. That means they're both drawing power from the same 12V rail...so I'm not sure if that would be enough power. You could try it...and it would probably work okay but I wouldn't guarantee that it would work perfectly.

Isnt your current GTS 640mb? Why not get another 640 instead of a 320?

he'll get the same performance because he doesnt need over 1gb of v mem
(make sure there both clocked at the same speed or it will drop to the slowest cards speed)

That PSU should work. EVGA recommends a minimum of 450W with a +12 Volt current rating of 30 Amps for SLI.

It would be best to get another 8800GTS that matches the memory size of your current card. According to the FAQ at SLI zone, to run two cards with differing memory amounts, you'll need to use Coolbits to force both of the cards to use the lower of the two memory sizes and operate together in SLI mode.

SLI Zone FAQ

And the 640 versions are still pretty expensive, just get an 8800GT and be done with it.

I know that, I meant just buy a single 8800GT, but come to think of it even if mattie's current 8800GTS would only be using 320 of 640 when SLI'ed with another GTS 320, it would actually be faster and cheaper to go SLI than to get a GT. So, I say go for it.

Back
Top Bottom