Running Two OS's. YEAH THATS RIGHT!

_-..zKiLLA..-_

Fully Optimized
well right now i have WinXP Pro. and im downloading Vista. (dont ask how, i cant tell) and i was wondering how do i run both. cuz i know its possible. and can i do it without reformatting my drive? i've never done it before...:p

Do you have two hard drives? The easiest way is to install both and just select which drive to boot from.

If you have a partition with enough room for Vista then just install it on that separate partition and you shouldn't have a problem. You can do this on the same hdd if you only have one.

On startup press f8 to access the 'Windows Advanced Options' menu, and theres an option for selecting which OS to boot.

nah i only have one right now. until i can get a SATA drive. cuz my mobo only supports two IDE (My HD and DVD Drive) so theres no way to do it with one drive?

EDIT: how do i make a partition??

Yeah you can it's just sometimes annoying because you have the boot screen that asks you to select which OS to boot.

oh yeah well i can deal with that. im doing this cuz i just wanna try Vista but still have my faithfull XP Pro. How do i make a pertition??

A couple of tips for you for when you get your partitions sorted:

Just run the Vista install .exe from in XP, select custom install then select the destination partition

Get EasyBCD to edit your boot order (Boot.ini in XP, BCD in Vista) and other little extras, run it from in Vista.

When you decide to remove Vista, use EasyBCD to return your boot order to XP being first BEFORE you remove Vista as EasyBCD won't run under XP and if you remove Vista without correcting your boot order there are only two ways to fix it, reinstall Vista and EasyBCD or format your XP install to repair your boot.ini.

Easiest way to remove Vista, delete its partition then recreate it for further use.

Well that was how it was last time I dual booted them.

Cheers

oh yeah well i can deal with that. im doing this cuz i just wanna try Vista but still have my faithfull XP Pro. How do i make a pertition??

You can use Norton Partition magic or Paragon partition magic. It makes it easy to resize and create partitions.

Back
Top Bottom