Help :( Can't get computer to work

jon the noob

In Runtime
I just installed my new graphics card(Radeon 3850) along with a new PSU (OCZ Gamestream 700W), and hooked them up accordingly. I tried to start up my computer, and it turns on, the disk drive works, the lights are on so i know it's getting power. But my monitor just flashes in idle mode. This GPU required me to hook the monitor up to it, via an extension hook up, and i also put in a DVI included with it. Any ideas?! I'm clueless, and i really hope my new graphics card isn't broken

how do you mean you put the dvi in that came with it?

also, does the gpu need an extra power cable, if it does, is that plugged in?

can you take a pic of the back of your computer after everything is attached? it will help us better tell you the problem

how do you mean you put the dvi in that came with it?

also, does the gpu need an extra power cable, if it does, is that plugged in?

I put the dvi cable from the back of the slot into the monitor

Now when i heard it needs extra power i assumed that was the PCI-E cable going into the PSU.. It came with a small black cable with a yellow head and a small black cable with a blue/green/red head but i assumed that was for something else..

EDIT: i'll try to get some pics up asap

if it needs extra power, the card itself should have a 6-pin plug on the top somewhere (well doesnt have to be on the top) and then that needs to be plugged in with a 6-pin cable from teh PSU (if it has one) or you can buy adapters that use the 4-pin plug coming out of the PSU thats used for hard drives etc

Connector from PSU:
22.jpg

Connector on gpu:
gtx-plugs.jpg

if it needs extra power, the card itself should have a 6-pin plug on the top somewhere (well doesnt have to be on the top) and then that needs to be plugged in with a 6-pin cable from teh PSU (if it has one) or you can buy adapters that use the 4-pin plug coming out of the PSU thats used for hard drives etc

Connector from PSU:
22.jpg

Connector on gpu:
gtx-plugs.jpg

yes i've done all that

does the power supply work ok without the GPU plugged in? If you havent tried that yet it might be a good idea to check :)

does the power supply work ok without the GPU plugged in? If you havent tried that yet it might be a good idea to check :)

yeah ill try that
I just ran my comp with the case off and the gpu was getting power, the fan on it was running

ill go try it without the gpu

EDIT: i took the power away from it and the monitor still sits in idle.. what do i do :(

Back
Top Bottom