Having some issues please help

N00BI3

Baseband Member
Ok, so i got a 250GB Seagate HDD IDE, it has an OS installed on it and everything, however when i plug it into my Dell 4600 it doesn't work! Not that it doesn't recognise it, it just displays a blank black screen with a blinking white underscore... I'm not sure why this is happening, any suggestions as to why it refuses to boot?

Thanks, all help and advice is much appreciated;)

you cant just install a HDD into a different computer with a OS on it and expect it to boot, it just doesnt work like that since OS installs are customized for certain hardware to an extent. all the drivers and stuff windows has is installed but only certain drivers are activated, which is why you usually cant switch HDD's around computers with different hardware

put in your OS disk and reformat it and reinstall the OS

you cant just install a HDD into a different computer with a OS on it and expect it to boot, it just doesnt work like that since OS installs are customized for certain hardware to an extent. all the drivers and stuff windows has is installed but only certain drivers are activated, which is why you usually cant switch HDD's around computers with different hardware

put in your OS disk and reformat it and reinstall the OS

Yes thats right the HDD will be configured for the other PC and putting into another computer will miss match the hardware settings, I hadn't thought of that Rudster.

Windows also prevents you from doing this, so even if you managed to tell your computer which drivers to use, Windows wouldn't let yo to prevent fraudulent reuse of Windows.

EDIT: The only way to use that hdd is to reformat it. If you want to save the data partition it first, then install windows on the new blank partition.

Yes thats right the HDD will be configured for the other PC and putting into another computer will miss match the hardware settings, I hadn't thought of that Rudster.

also it doesnt have to be first on the boot order. my boot order is CD ROM, then my HDD's, then USB. if it doesnt detect a bootable OS on the first drive (rather it be a cd rom, flash drive, HDD, floppy) it moves on to the next, if there is no bootable OS on there then it moves on the the final boot device. if there are no OS's then it will so "No Boot Device Inserted" or some other message to that degree

Ok wow, thanks for all the help guys :D now i have a 2nd problem lol, i can't seem to find the driver for my ethernet port on my Mobo, i installed that intel 10/100 or something u can get off the dell website, now i'm at a loss, its displaying my ethernet controller wif a yellow question mark... wat to do now..

Back
Top Bottom