Dial up Wifi Key for PS3 would this work?

I'm just looking for a alternative to buying a Ethernet cable and running that between my PC and PS3 for downloading game updates. I saw this Wifi Key that turns your PC into a Wifi access point.

Would I be able to hook this to my computer and set it up to use my dial up bandwith to the PS3 for updating games? Or won't it work without Hi Speed? I'm just trying to find a alternative to running a cable across my room.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879337001

phone cords\ethernet both use the CAT standard, expect that ethernet is CAT5 and phone cords are CAT4. im 90% sure if you just bridged the connection\internet connection share your internet from your computer iw would, specially since DSL just increases the bandwidth of a normal phone cord and converts it to eithernet with ease, im sure XP\Vista could aswell.

oh its wireless, thought that hooked up to the PS3 to get a wired connection, ugh im out of it. should work anyways. ~NeonFire372~ gets wireless on his laptop and he has dial up, no reason the PS3's wouldnt detect the signal.

oh its wireless, thought that hooked up to the PS3 to get a wired connection, ugh im out of it. should work anyways. ~NeonFire372~ gets wireless on his laptop and he has dial up, no reason the PS3's wouldnt detect the signal.

Alright cool I hope NeonFire replys to confirm that. I was going to ask if you were drunk or something.....

That would be sweet if it worked. I normally connect at 46.6Kbps so I wonder I could use it all on the PS3 or change the sharing level. IE 42.6Kbps for the PS3 and 4Kbps for the computer so it downloads faster.

wait, on 56k, doesnt it block your phone line when your on the internet?
I only have one telephone line and I'm online between 5-10 hours a day casually. Most modems feature modem on hold, and that, used along with call forwarding and/or visual call waiting reveals who's calling on your computer and on each telephone in the house. If someone important is calling and I feel like logging off, I'll answer the call or just phone them back.

Rudster: Did I mention that in a MSN conversation or something? Anyway, yeah, you can use Internet Connection Sharing I guess with a wired line but since you're looking for wireless... I have a WiFlyer, a wireless router that's compatible directly with dial-up (has the jack for it) I paid probably $100 for it so it's kind of expensive but it's alright if I want to connect some other device to my internet. I mean it's small and supports WEP like most other routers, though there's no WPA support. Got mine from J&R in New York City [Park Row, Manhattan], but please don't buy anything from J&R. Seriously, don't.

But yeah, I'd imagine there's a way to configure ICS to set up some sort of ad-hoc-type network using your laptop that the PS3 can connect to. Something like this (but it's a Mac) http://lifehacker.com/software/ultranewb/share-your-macs-internet-connection-wirelessly-283088.php I don't know much about networking though, maybe if I had broadband and an actual router that I could experiment with but I don't use my WiFlyer for normal browsing - it slows down my line (though it works perfect at my friend's house using my same connection on his line)

In the end, the PS3 will detect any wireless network no matter how slow it is but don't expect to be able to play online without lag. I guess that depends on your line too. I connect at probably around 40kbps max and I can play World of Warcraft and Guild Wars lag-free but I haven't tried more bandwidth intensive games.

Back
Top Bottom