Windows Update Issue

Szat

Daemon Poster
Hey guys,
A very annoying issue popped up last night just before I was going to go to bed, which caused me to stay up an extra hour to fix it the best I could. Windows (Vista Business 32-bit, legal copy) said I had 11 updates that were ready to be installed. 7 updates are from Microsoft for Vista, 3 are from Nvidia, and 1 is from Acer for my monitor. When I was ready to turn my system off I decided to install them. The system installed them and went to the "Windows is Configuring Your Settings" screen. This stayed there for longer than 30 minutes. It was at that point when I figured out my system must have froze, so I manually shut down my computer. I restarted the system at which point it told me it shut down incorrectly and how would I like to continue. I started it up normally. It took a while for it to boot and everything seemed pretty normal until I went to shut it off again and this time it get stuck on the "Shutting Down" screen. I manually restarted and switched into Windows in Safe Mode. Luckily, system restore saved a point for me an hour or so before this confusion happened. I used the restore point and the only noticeable difference I see is that it take slightly longer to boot up; shut down is fine. OK, I can live with that; but now AIM does not work for me and when I right click an icon on the taskbar and select an option the option will sometimes run and it stays on the screen on top of everything. Right now on the other side of this message box "Start avast! Antivirus" has been hanging there for about 20 minutes and it won't go away even if I refresh it. I have never had a problem updating Windows XP and this is the first time I have updated Vista since I built this PC last month. Do you guys know how I can fix this problem of programs not working for no reason and objects just staying on top of everything? Also, I would like to download those updates eventually, because they're security fixes and updates for my motherboard; but I don't want this to happen again! Thanks for the help.

Download the latest Nvidia drivers direct from there webpage. Uninstall the current drivers then reboot and install the ones you downloaded from Nvidia. I never use windows update to get new Nvidia driver versions.

Also you could go into updates and view your update history and see which ones failed. I'm guessing it got hung up on that install and your display driver is corrupt.

My mouse froze during my virus scan, which came up clean. I just rebooted and everything seems back to normal, but I still can't be 100% sure yet. None of the installs are on my computer anymore since I did a system restore to before they were installed. It is asking me to install all the files I installed yesterday, because they're not on my system anymore.

Back
Top Bottom