I Want It!!!

If water can damage them that easily, I can't see them being used in clothes/newspapers like they're planning without quite a bit of protection I'd imagine...

Plus 14,000 hours equates too:
583 days...

Not much really. Thats only a year and something.

Whilst the others will last:
1916 days, and 9583 days.

Seems I'm pretty backward. All you guys want is a next-gen OLED display, all I want is to switch from LCD back to CRT.

Why? Resolution while gaming? or something else?
If you don't have a good LCD, you really aren't getting the benefits that a good one can provide.

The only thing I don't like about LCD's are the fixed resolution, so you can't downscale without distorting the image.

I can get like a 24" for about £30:D. And I can't tell the difference in picture quality between an LCD and a CRT.

I can when it comes to black levels, but thats about it.
I also don't like the quality of the digital format DVI. I can see the banding it produces from the regular VGA source, especially in games.

What I don't get is the 1,000,000 contrast ratio, stated there, because of its feature to turn off the LED's completly, to create true blacks.
Well...Plasma can do that, but the contrast ratio's are never that high.

So, why can an OLED, produce that much? I don't get where the difference would be.

Look what I read on How Stuff Works:

* Lifetime - While red and green OLED films have longer lifetimes (46,000 to 230,000 hours), blue organics currently have much shorter lifetimes (up to around 14,000 hours[source: OLED-Info.com]).
* Manufacturing - Manufacturing processes are expensive right now. (We know that one)
* Water - Water can easily damage OLEDs.

It's kind of a cheat. They compare the maximum brightness level to the level when the backlight is off (which is as black as you can get).

What they don't tell you is that the jump from black to the lowest grey level (when the backlight is on) is huge.

There not comparing them the way they compare LCD's and Plasmas directly. Effectively making the contrast ratio's infinite. Bottom line, it is a non-spec and should not be used in making a purchasing decision of a television set.

If you really want to learn in depth about HDTVs check out this forum its huge and very active! Hi Def Forum That forum is helping me gain a lot of info regarding tuning and understanding HDTV's kind of like this forum gave me a better understanding of certain computer aspects.

OLED needs to mature before I'll even consider buying it. It's still too early of a technology to be taken seriously.

Back
Top Bottom