software and tools for Tech support

Optimus Ping

Baseband Member
Hi,

Just a quick question about tools and software and stuff to have.

I've been tasked to troubleshoot some remote computers that aren't responding to ping etc. I have to go to the location and see what's wrong.
One I've been told just isn't powering up. The others I'm not sure about. The operating systems are Windows NT 3.5 and 4.0. Windows 2000 and Windows XP. (quite a scope eh? lol)

What would my troubleshooting steps be for the pc won't power up? and should I try to bring any spare parts with me? If it's a power supply is that easily replaced?

What software and tools do you guys take with you to remote locations in case you need em?

Do you take disc cleaner/ad aware/boot discs etc. What tools, a driver set/dust off etc.

Thanks!

OP

The PC that wont fire up will depend on whether its totally dead if thats the case then it could be anything like a fried mobo, If its just not booting but theres a light on the monitor or hdd then you can start looking at the ram, video card, CPU or the hdd its self, take memtest and everest diagnostic tools, some form of anti virus/spy-ware to scan for problems and a registry repair program, if they have the OS disc's that would be a great help.
Parts would be hard as you would need to already know the specs of the PC you going to look so you will have to wait till you get there, PSU would be OK.
screwdrivers and a portable vacuum would be handy aswell.

Thanks that gives me a starting point. I've heard now that the enduser "hears the computer running" but doesn't see monitor or any lights anywhere on the box.

Oh and what did you mean by PSU?

Thanks Again!

OP

It could be the monitor or video card, check the connectors at the back of the tower and check the Video cards not come loose, at the front off the tower there is definitely no green or red light on? hmmm It seems strange that the fans are on if the HDD isn't. I'm guessing that the hdd is working, are here any beep codes heard?

Result of remote visit...bad power supply on one of the units removed and orderd a replacement. The monitor was plugged into a bad outlet as well.

Back
Top Bottom